Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Disaster. . . ALMOST!

Account Closed by Member Request

Angry Hair Disaster. . . ALMOST!

Hey Everything,

I'd like to share with you all a close call that I had yesterday, one that could have ended up very bad. . .

It was a normal day, just like any other day. I went to TN to visit my little cousins. They are 4 and 6 years old. We had a blast swimming all that day. We were outside from 11:30am to 3:00pm. So we baked in the sun, splashing each other, screaming, crying, and being mean to each other like we always do lol.

We got out of the pool around 3 o'clock that evening, and decided to go inside and rest. I got on my mom's laptop to check my email. My cousin who is a 6 year old girl wanted to brush my hair, and her 4 year old brother wanted to help out. So without thinking I said, "ok, sure."

I was pre-occupied with the internet, and checking the status of a computer part that I had ordered online. The 6 year old had a brush, and the 4 year old had a comb. After about 10 minutes, I began to feel the 4 year old yanking on the left side of my head, pulling A LOT of hair. Then I heard the 6 year old say "LOOK WHAT YOU DID!!!"

I grabbed the comb, and felt of the left side of my hair. Somehow he had wrapped my hair multiple times around the comb. I didn't even know or feel that he had done that or else I would have stopped him. My mom was also there, babysitting the kids, however she was in the shower during this time. I tried to untangle the comb, but a BIG chunk of my hair was so tightly wrapped around it, that I couldn't get enough slack to loosen it up. Then my mom looked at it sand said, "That's really bad, we may have to cut it out." She worked with it for about an hour. . . and nothing! It wouldn't unravel. So I jumped in the shower and basted my head with conditioner, I think it was called Herbal Essence "Dangerously Straight", and I began to slowly remove small pieces of hair from the comb without ripping it out. I had loosened the tension some, however after an hour of fiddling with it, I decided to rinse off and take a break.

Everybody there told me, "You're gonna have to cut that comb out, that's the only way to get it out." If I did, then I would have to get a layered style cut, from the tip top of my head, ALL of the way down, for my hair to even look presentable. So my mom and I came back home to VA that evening, with the comb stuck in my head LOL (it wasn't funny at the time) She kept saying . . . "I don't know how we're going to get that comb out because it has twisted and knotted your hair up so bad, but your hair would look good cut short in layers!"

Now mind you all, that my mom is a Christian woman. She raised me to acknowledge Biblical morals, taught me how to believe in miracles, and act upon faith. So I replied to her and said, "The good Lord gave me this hair, the men in our family has gone bald at fairly early stages in their life except for me. . . I'm not going to let something like this take away what the Lord has blessed me with. . . My hair is also a gift for the woman that God has for me."

When we got home, I instantly went for my tool box! I grabbed the best thing I could find. . . WIRE CUTTERS! I began to snip off each tooth of the comb. Then my mom snipped off what I could not see in the mirror. We spent an hour parting my hair, and cutting that comb off piece by piece. Then she would free small parts of my hair, once each section of the comb was cut. She finally got the comb out, literally in pieces.

After the comb was out, a HUG knot of hair remained. So we took a fine tooth rat tail comb (the same comb I threw away from the camera in my youtube french braiding tutorial LOL) to pick out the knot. After about 30 more minutes my hair was smooth, straight, and knot free. All of the conditioner I had put in my hair helped out. My mom said "This was truly a miracle. . . This is the best that your hair has looked, normally it is greasy and wavy, but now it's just straight and soft." I lost only a small fraction of hair that came out tiny knots (no more than what I would accumulate in the shower drain)

I feel truly blessed. I would have took pictures of the comb in my hair, but obviously that was the last thing I was thinking about! If you could have seen how my hair looked with that comb matted in it, then most of you would probably agree that the only option would be to cut it out. So I offer hope to those of who you, who may get something stuck in your hair! Just have patience and faith!

For the record, I did not cry during this whole ordeal! haha!

Also I want to ask you all, if you have ever got an object stuck in your hair?! Did you get it out? What did you do?

Peace Out!!!

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Disaster. . . ALMOST!

Wow, that was better than a movie. Suspenseful, action-packed, made me laugh and cry.

But seriously, thank goodness you got that thing outta your hair, that would have been AWFUL!!!! I am making a mental note never to let my little nieces or nephews "help" me comb my hair.

The only object I can remember being stuck in my hair was some gum when I was a kid. My mom froze it out by making me stand with my hair stuck in the freezer for like AGES, then it mostly broke apart.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

wow what a close call, I'm glad you and your mom managed to save your hair!

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've had to cut out small knots from time to time; that's about it.

Length
    BSL/BCL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Ouch! Thank goodness your hair pulled through. I've had a round brush stuck in my hair before so I can sympathize a bit. That thing made such a mess! I had to cut a bit to get it out but that was before I was really growing my hair and the damage wasn't very noticable. Now I am super careful.
    The worst thing that I've ever had stuck in my hair was a pair of angry hornets but that was for different reasons!

Length
    30ish/32/36
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by yellowchariot View Post
    I feel truly blessed. I would have took pictures of the comb in my hair, but obviously that was the last thing I was thinking about! If you could have seen how my hair looked with that comb matted in it, then most of you would probably agree that the only option would be to cut it out. So I offer hope to those of who you, who may get something stuck in your hair! Just have patience and faith!
    I am so glad to hear about your solution. I've heard this story from a few people now and they all say "so I had to cut it out" and I wonder why they didn't try cutting the comb first.

I haven't tangled anything up that badly, but my mom rolled her hair up in a round brush, and there was no way to cut the brush on that one. Her hair had to be cut instead.

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Once when I was around 10, I had a girl a couple years younger than me brush my hair with a fairly small round brush. She got it really stuck, just like yours. The hair was wrapped around a few times. Luckily, my grandma is a barber, and she was right there. I was almost in tears, cause I thought we'd have to cut it out, but she put peanutbutter all over the brush and my hair, and got it mostly out so we only had to cut off a little tiny bit. I was sooooo relieved. xD
    October 2011!
    Usually, I own everything. But sometimes, a tank comes out of nowhere.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Wow! You are so lucky! Glad you got it out!

Years ago, when I still blow dried my hair, I managed to somehow have a large chunk of hair sucked into the intake at the back of the hairdryer. It was awful(and heavy). I can't remember any damage, but it took hours of slowly pulling small sections out piece by piece and was very painful! .... I've also had problems with round brushes with lots of bristles becoming completely wound into my hair. Luckily, nothing recently though .....

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Phew! Thank goodness you got it out!

I remember getting several round brushes stuck in my hair as a kid. I think there was a fair amount of pulling, minor cutting, and crying involved in their removal. Gum was also stuck in there once or twice, but my grandma always got it out with ice.
    January 2012

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

That's an intriguing story! It must have been awful at the time, but is hopefully something you can laugh at. Thank goodness you didn't cut your hair!

Years ago, I had a jacket with buttons on the lapels. One windy day, my hair got twisted all around the buttons. I couldn't get the jacket off. Fortunately, I had face framing layers already then, and no intention of growing my hair longer, so it wasn't a big deal then.
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!