Thread: For those with regrowth--a question

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Question For those with regrowth--a question

I'm asking this for my mom's benefits.

My mom has both systemic Lupus and fibromyalgia. As a result, she thinned out a lot on the top of her head. She was given 2 prescription type creams and the hair has grown back.

Problem? It's totally curly! She's keeping her hair much shorter now as it's easier for her to manage, but she can't figure out how to get this new curly/twisty hair to lay flat on her head. She's got some products that the hair dresser recommended, but because it's so sort, it's hard for her to work with as too much product makes the hair look dirty.

Any suggestions as to what she can us? I even tried to fiddle with it and it just will NOT lay flat. She manages to get it to go to one side, but in the humidity we're having, it pops up like a bird's tuft of feathers on the top of their heads. We get serious amusement by that, but when mom wants to go out, not so much.

Thanks
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    20"/MBL/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: For those with regrowth--a question

Can she use a soft wide headband to get them to lay down ? I don't think any product is going to make them lay flat unfortunately.

Length
    16/38/N/A
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

how long is it now?....my sister in law has the exact same issues (hair fell out for different reason though) and she just wore hats and cute hairbands until to got to a manageable length....but i guess heavier gels and then blow dry straight from wet to dry is the best way to manipulate the hair but depending on the length there may not be much she can do until it grows out a bit more....hope she can figure something out
    Jessica - Crunchy WAHM to one beautiful boy, wife to my wonderful husband for 3+ years: Non hair-cutting...only 1 hair trim in 4.5 years

Length
    pixie/34/44+
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

My hair also fell out due to medical issues. It was very straight, and medium reddish-brown. It grew back in grey and curly. I have opted to color my hair and embrace the new curls. It took months to figure out how to treat them, and the growing out process is a bit different. I use hairtoys now that simply slid out before.
    Kate (signature picture taken October 2011--29.5 inches)
    Lady Asteria of the Amethyst Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

My hair which is growing back in patches, is white at the moment, hopefully it will change into its normal brunette later, as I have some brunette already. Its coming back curly compared to the other hair which is straight (it usually gets curly when its longer).

Gail Porter, who lost all her hair for five years, recently got her hair back and instead of it being her usual blonde it came through brunette.

Type
    1a/M/ii

I second the hats and headbands idea untill it grows alittle longer, I don't think there is a product that can make really short hairs behave and still look clean (as far as I know all the stronger gels make it look wet / oily and feel stiff...)

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm not sure how curly her hair is, but from my own personal experience with 3b/c curls, you're S.O.L. in trying to get them to do anything other than what they want to do.

My mom kept my hair in a boy cut for the first decade of my life, and my third grade school portrait shows me having straight, short hair... with one curl "wing" off the top of my left ear. Some days the wing was on my right ear. Or sometimes the back of my head. Or on my forehead. Sometimes there was more than one wing.

My recommendation is to just embrace the curls, because it's going to be very stressful (and pointless) to try to get them to do what you want them to do instead of what they want to do. After so many years of wearing her hair flat and straight, it may feel "wrong" to have her hair in this new, curly style for a while, but it will grow on her over time (no pun intended!). Life is to short to spend fighting with your hair.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Thanks!
    See, the problem is, she can't go too long because it's still very thinned in the area, and she can't go too short. She's got tons of hair all over, but just at the top and front of her head is where it thinned out. She's got an excellent hair dresser.

To me, I can't really classify it, but she had pin straight hair all her life. She does blow dry it, but can't get it straight. I will suggest the hair band because I have some wide elastic ones that if she used to just flatten it before going out, it might help

Thanks for the suggestions! and yes, she also gets her hair colored.
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    21/32/32
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

My regrowth is super curly too. My hair has always been somewhat curly but not as curly as the regrowth. I have found no way to tame it but I cannot use any hair condiments as I am allergic to them.
    My sister has a variant of Lupus and has hair loss...what sort of creams did they give your mother?? I would like to pass the info along to sis as she has had no luck with anything.