Thread: Balm, An Article in The Washington Post Magazine

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Balm, An Article in The Washington Post Magazine

I found this article on the Washington Post's website today (it was published a month ago), and found it very sweet and hair-related. It reminded me of all the wonderful mothers we have posting on here to get help for their daughters' hair and of the only good times I remember spending with my dad -- when he would brush out my long hair as a child, since he was gentler with it than my mom or grandmother.

Length
    22"/28"/32"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Balm, An Article in The Washington Post Magazine

my dad was much gentler too! but then, he has always had short hair, maybe it was something to do with that. or that fact I was still in single figures. i'll always remember me about 7/8 years old, standing on the chaise longue in my parents bedroom, just had my hair washed, and my dad gently blow drying my hair and brushing at the same time, he didnt want me going to bed with wet hair! hahaha.

its a lovely article, thank you for sharing.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I enjoyed the article - so sweet. I was the mom who knew how to do things with hair among a few of my daughter's friends. Some still ask for a braid from time to time, especially my daughter. Times to treasure.

Length
    35 in/39 in/43 in
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

neat, thanks for sharing!

Lady Arduinna, Keeper of the North Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

That was a very sweet article!

I remember when I was younger my mom would spend FOR.EVER curling my hair for special occasions, only to have it deflate and straighten the moment I stepped outside.

forever waffling between conventional and herbal haircare
    dying roots black with Wella Semi-permanent dye, very occasional heat styling
    currently BSL / 1st goal waist / 1C/m/ii / forever fighting frizz

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madame J View Post
    I found this article on the Washington Post's website today (it was published a month ago), and found it very sweet and hair-related. It reminded me of all the wonderful mothers we have posting on here to get help for their daughters' hair and of the only good times I remember spending with my dad -- when he would brush out my long hair as a child, since he was gentler with it than my mom or grandmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hana View Post
    my dad was much gentler too! but then, he has always had short hair, maybe it was something to do with that. or that fact I was still in single figures. i'll always remember me about 7/8 years old, standing on the chaise longue in my parents bedroom, just had my hair washed, and my dad gently blow drying my hair and brushing at the same time, he didnt want me going to bed with wet hair! hahaha.

its a lovely article, thank you for sharing.
    Yeah, my dad was much gentler too... He has a lot more patience than my mom, who would just yank the comb through and tell me to quit whining about it hurting.... :eyeroll: My dad's the one who taught me to hold on to the top parts of my hair if there's a tangle so it doesn't pull on my scalp.

(hennahead)

Length
    12/20/36
    Type
    3c/F/iii

My dad was always the better hair stylist too, mainly because he was so patient. My mother never had time to detangle, she'd rip the comb through a few times, then brush it flat and confine it in a huge scrunchie cause regular rubberbands didn't work.

My dad would braid my hair, and I still remember those days, though he rarely could do it. He has arthritis now though, and can no longer do that, but I do his hair now.
    ~Lady Caoimhe of the Roasted Tea Leaves in the Order of the Long Hair Knights~

In all things, be more like Stevie Nicks.

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Honestly, I don't think my dad was any better at brushing; he just didn't need to do it as often, so when he did, he took his time. I also think he was a lot more afraid of hurting me. My mom had to brush our hair every day (until I was old enough to take care of it myself, around 5 or 6), and it probably got tedious to be expected to do all the cooking, cleaning, and brushing of little girls' hair. My younger sister had short hair earlier than I did.