Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair/job compatability?

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Hair/job compatability?

Does anyone else have a job that disagrees with long hair? I don't mean by dress codes, I mean the actual job requirements.

I've started working in a model making workshop and because of solvents being sprayed and clouds of dust from sanding we have to take various masks on and off through the day and switch to whatever is most comfortable. The more heavy duty masks have wide rubber strips that fix snuggly around the back to your head.

I already had to wrap the straps with masking tape because the seams were snagging and it was all I had to hand. It's a pain to get the back secured around a hairstick, but a stick bun is easier to re-do in a hurry. Braids tucked into clothes are too itchy. Goggles tangle into my hair near my ears.

It never crossed my mind this job would be damaging to my hair; friction from rubber wasn't part of my career plan!

Since I look pretty dishevelled in work I know it's affecting my hair at least by pulling strands loose.

Does anyone else find this with their work? What career path are you on and how do you make it hair friendly? Again, I don't mean dress codes as such, more health and safety wear codes.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair/job compatability?

Have you tried covering your hair with a scarf or a bandana or something similar to keep the masks/goggles from pulling? The only times I've had to use such apparatuses I had a hair covering as well which definitely helped with hair-grabbiness of those rubber things.

My current job is pretty long hair friendly. I put it up and forget about it. If its down it can be an issue, but there's usually a stick of some sort around.

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You could try this...Bouffant Hat...look at the picture up on the page.
    I have a messy shop...I don't go down there anymore but this is what I could see you using. You could pin it at the front and put your hair in it...then put a band like a pony in the back so its not floppy.
    Last edited by motormuffin; December 9th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by motormuffin View Post
    You could try this...Bouffant Hat...look at the picture up on the page.
    That's what we wore... it was a level 3 biohazard facility though, you might be able to get by with something more reusable. Worked pretty well under goggle straps.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I so intensely do not want that to be my only option! I think it may be though...Now I know why no-on else there has hair past their collar.

I always forget but what is the site that shows ways to tie a scarf creatively? All I can remember is that they have a load of thumbnails.
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post
    I so intensely do not want that to be my only option! I think it may be though...Now I know why no-on else there has hair past their collar.

I always forget but what is the site that shows ways to tie a scarf creatively? All I can remember is that they have a load of thumbnails.
    It's the Tznius site that has the various scarf styles.

I have the same type of hair environment as teela, up and forget it, but down is a hazard.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by enfys View Post

I suppose you could make your own like it. The elastic seems to help more than just tying a bandana on. My husband just shaves his head so nothing sticks to his hair. The other guys will wear the whole suit with the hood. Any guys with hair had it in a pony under the hood. I think you can get some grey colored ones through grainger but they usually cost more.

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

That's the one! Thanks Mira. It's bookmarked this time.

Loose is really too hazardous. I wouldn't even wear a braid unless it was inside my clothes, tucked under my bra strap. There are extractor fans and machines everywhere so I would get scalped. Scary.
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I'm a mom of five, and my long hair is VERY incompatible with my job, lol. If I ever try to wear it down, by lunchtime it's up just because I'm tired of pushing it out of the way. Or getting it pulled.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Type
    3a/M/ii

How about a bun on top of your head? Or securing it with a Flexi or a hair scroo?

My job doesn't care about long hair. I sit at a desk and draw on the computer.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok