Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sulfates SLS,ALES, and all others cleaning ingredients

Length
    16/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Question Sulfates SLS,ALES, and all others cleaning ingredients

I hope starting this thread is order to know and learn more about sulfates and share different results wheater good or bad .

I read some information about SLS but I was wondering about Amonum Lauryl Sulfate, TEA Lauryl sulfate, cocoamidpropyl betaine, and all other that I didnt mention....there is so many and its confusing sometimes

I think It woudl be good to collect all infroamtion about them
    I would like to know about their properties, maybe rating them from most hars to most delicate. possible toxidicy for human and enivorment.Wahtever you know about it may be inportant and helpfull and interesting for me and for other members.

I know that maybe somene might tell that I coudl find this information in the internet but I thought that creating a thread give possiblity to share information and learn not only for me but eveyone so we can all find something new or uselful and maybe our heads and hair will benefit with it hopefully

I would like to ask to share your experices and information so maybe we will create information threat about sulfates and their properites and everthing we think, like, and dislike about them and possbile alternatives.

knowlege is the key so lets find it
    Hope you dear LHC memeber will like this idea
    Lady Safira of the Sussurous Shifting Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    14/19/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Sulfates SLS,ALES, and all others cleaning igriedients

I don't know a lot about them except for they work great for me. I have tried going sulfate free and used one of the Giovanni products and my scalp did not feel clean. I also have an oily scalp so that may have contributed to it not feeling clean. I went back to sulfates and my scalp felt great. I have read where some have reported thinning hair due to sulfates but I have never had that problem with them.

Length
    17/29/30-32
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Sulfates SLS,ALES, and all others cleaning ingredients

I've heard that Sodium Laureth sulfate is the gentlest surfactant. Is this true? I dunno...lol thanks for starting this thread. I'll really help me =D

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've heard that ALS is good in hard water because it rinses really well. This may or may not be true... but I do live in a hard water area, and it works well for me.

Length
    waist/calf/term
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I have wondered some of the same things. I will be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for starting this!

Now, some of you scientific minds chime in!
    Lady Bernadetta of the Fabulous Four Tops Forever Fanatics ~
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

If you're reaaaally patient and willing to dig and search thru the forums, there is a surprising wealth of information on most of those surficants, just not a single compiled reference thread such as what you're looking for. A good place to start is the article Ursula wrote on sulfates (don't have the link handy, typing this from my Blackberry), it can be found in the articles section. Later when I'm on the computer I shall post links to some of the research I have done (limited as it is) and some other threads I think you may find helpful. Maybe we can get enough information together to make a proper FAQ to help address some of the information you're seeking, as I bet many would find it useful.

Good thread idea.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    13.5/29.5"/33"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I quit using sulfates on by fine blond hair and I've found its more voluminous and less oily. I use Aubrey organics mixed with baking soda.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    If you're reaaaally patient and willing to dig and search thru the forums, there is a surprising wealth of information on most of those surficants, just not a single compiled reference thread such as what you're looking for. A good place to start is the article Ursula wrote on sulfates (don't have the link handy, typing this from my Blackberry), it can be found in the articles section. Later when I'm on the computer I shall post links to some of the research I have done (limited as it is) and some other threads I think you may find helpful. Maybe we can get enough information together to make a proper FAQ to help address some of the information you're seeking, as I bet many would find it useful.

Good thread idea.
    I'm pretty sure Ursulas article is where I got my ALS/hard water thingy. I wasn't sure if that article made it from the old boards to the new one.

Length
    Jaw/n/a/Hip?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Sorry to steal the topic with a newbie question, but I've been trying to figure out why people avoid sulphates. What are they believed to do to the hair?

Length
    17/29/30-32
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

SLS is very harsh and drying to the hair.