Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Credits to Terminal Length.

Default Credits to Terminal Length.

I'm not too sure If I believe in this.

Can someone here please direct me to who is the founder of hair terminal length? Who does the credit goes to and and are they a professional or well renown at anything?

Thanks in advance.

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Credits to Terminal Length.

I´m not sure I understand you. Terminal length is a physical fact, not an invention.

Type
    1b/F/ii

The credits goes to logical thinking and physical facts.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Yup terminal length is nothing to believe in or not. Everything stops growing longer sooner or later otherwise I could easily drink out of the drip rail by now.

Seriously though. At terminal length the hair does not suddenly stop growing, that´s a misunderstanding and I guess here´s the root of your ´believe problem´ Smitts - At terminal length the hair stops gaining length small but important difference.

Depending on the length of ones shedding cycle, the individual hair has a certain timeframe where it grows before it sheds.
    People with fast growing hair and long sheding cycles have a longer terminal length as opposed to people with slow growing hair and short shedding cycles.
    Last edited by Finoriel; November 15th, 2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: typo

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

I think you might mean who first compiled the facts that we now KNOw about terminal length. I haen't a clue--it's probably something that's been backed up in a few studies, and logically, almost all things reach a point where they stop growing. It's not really something you can argue against--it's evident from observation, and there are several members here who have reached terminal.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

I'm not confused...
    I know it isn't a convention.
    I know it means it stops gaining length, not growth

The above was right. I said the facts about the hair cycle and it isn't logical. Your nails continue to grow forever and ever even after death until they decompose completley.

So that being said, anyone know who the title of founder of the hair shedding period goes to? Until I've seen some type of legit research I won't believe it.

Thanks again in advance

EDIT: If you don't know, then name a few of the studies on it please.

fightin' in satin tights Kuchen's Avatar
    Length
    18/27/34
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Neither hair nor nails grow after death, it's just that the flesh around them shrinks, so they look longer

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Also, we see animals reach their terminal lengths through not cutting their hair (fur). My cat's fur definately stopped growing at a certain length and I never trimmed her!

Would that make it easier to understand? Look at an animal's fur and see that every hair has a tapered end but the over all length never increases, pretty much like a human's but ours tends to have a much longer terminal, and with more variation through diet and treatment and so on.
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

I'm asking for who did the research and where it originated from.

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I believe you have an illogical reason to think that terminal hair growth is illogical. It's a well-proven fact, many people here on LHC have experienced their hair taper and stop gaining length.

Also, about the nail-continuing-to-grow-after-death thing, I copied this from Wikipedia:

"Contrary to popular belief, nails do not continue to grow after death; the skin dehydrates and tightens, making the nails (and hair) appear to grow"

I couldn't exactly find anything on a terminal length for nails, but I doubt they grow on forever and ever, it's just that it's inconvenient to figure out what it would be.

I hope this helps you, I'm honestly not trying to put anyone down.
    October 2011!
    Usually, I own everything. But sometimes, a tank comes out of nowhere.