Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same hair length for the last 3 years

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Same hair length for the last 3 years

I looked back on some photos of myself from 2006 and noticed that I have had roughly the same hair length for the last 3 years. It seems I keep going back for the same hair cut, but each time I'm hoping for a new look. I guess that's what you call "stuck in a rut". The hairdressers keep cutting the same silly layers in there as if it's all they know how to do. Gotta get rid of the layers!

I'm sure I've spent a couple of hundred dollars there and all I've ended up with is the same look. Imagine how much length I would have had if I'd let it grow!

Length
    16"/26"/tail
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Same hair length for the last 3 years

Me too. It feels like I've had shoulder length-ish hair forever, and I hate that length on me. I kept telling my hairdresser I just wanted trims, that my goal was to grow long. Looking back, I can see why I felt so frustrated waiting for it to grow. His "trims" always took me back to shoulder. I haven't gone to a hairdresser in a year and finally I am at APL. It feels so good to have made visible progress at long last. Good luck on your growing journey. You have gorgeous hair, it's going to to look stunning at length.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I did this for a few years too. Every time I'd tell the stylist "I'm trying to grow it" but each time she'd cut in my old layers, feather the front, and take it back to shoulder length. It's been a couple of years, and I still haven't gotten rid of the old layers yet (the shortest are three inches shorter than my main length).

She always blow-dried and straightened it too though (bleh), so I suppose I should've just learnt to say no.

Banned
    Length
    17"/31"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Same thing used to happen to me. Hairdressers will tell you that you need to 'maintain' every 6 wks. Sure, this is if you want top tip locks & only if you don't want to 'grow'. Otherwise the bear minimum (say 1/4 - 1/2") every 12 wks is a better option. In my opinion hair stays healthier & grows better this way and you won't lose your length ! Make sure you just tell them you want straight all round also, otherwise they will try to cut in some fancy layers whilst they are there which will deter from the growing process. Try to find a 'long hair' hairdresser (normally those who have long hair themselves)& they are usually more understanding.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It might help to show your stylist a picture of hair at your goal and be firm that you want only the wispiest/driest tip ends trimmed off because you have a lot of growing to do. If that doesn't work, you need a new stylist. There's nothing wrong with just letting it grow and grow, either, although I prefer the trimmed and well-kempt look for my own hair. (P.S. - for the first 5 years of growing my hair, my stylist trimmed my hair every 6 to 8 weeks, and it grew 2 feet longer in that time. That's not impressive growth, but it's not true that if you get frequent trims then your hair won't grow longer. It's the amount that gets trimmed off, not the fact that you're getting trims.)

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by myrrhmaiden View Post
    Me too. It feels like I've had shoulder length-ish hair forever, and I hate that length on me. I kept telling my hairdresser I just wanted trims, that my goal was to grow long. Looking back, I can see why I felt so frustrated waiting for it to grow. His "trims" always took me back to shoulder. I haven't gone to a hairdresser in a year and finally I am at APL. It feels so good to have made visible progress at long last.
    I had this problem too, for my entire 20's. I really thought my hair couldn't grow longer. It wasn't until I found my way here that my hair even made it to APL. Now it's at BSL+ and on the way to waist.

Getting closer...

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

This is one reason I don't let anyone else trim my hair. I know exactly what I want, and it saves heartache in the end. You just have to learn to say "no" to outside manipulation!
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Oh, heh! I thought this was going to be another terminal length thread!

Growing out from shoulder length has to be the most difficult (or, at least, it was for me)...not long enough to do anything with or put it up neatly, so no way of hiding the perceived shagginess. I'm just glad that my hair was in pretty good shape, so I could just grow it out without worrying about trimming splits and all. No cutting...or at the very least, no bangs or layers!

Good luck with the growing!

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by JamieLeigh View Post
    This is one reason I don't let anyone else trim my hair. I know exactly what I want, and it saves heartache in the end. You just have to learn to say "no" to outside manipulation!
    I think it is a hard transition from the 6weekly routine to very restricted trims or no cutting...especially hard when it is still short enough that you can't really do it yourself.

Can I be a Guru now** Angela_Rose's Avatar
    Length
    20"/51"/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Sounds like it's time to either get a new "stylist" who will take off what you ask for instead of lopping your locks off at her discretion, or learn to self-trim (hard on shorter lengths!), or just let it grow, grow, grow. Good luck!

Some members on here report having good luck just going to a barber instead of a fancypants stylist- I've never been to one myself, though I hear that barbers tend to be a bit more straightforward and willing to do what you ask them to do.
    Lady Seraph of the Celestial Rose, OOTLHK.
    Achieved 53.5"/Calf, January 2016; currently at 51" and struggling to come back from a Big Shed.