Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iron Buildup from Really Hard Water?

Length
    27/27/45
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Iron Buildup from Really Hard Water?

I've tried to grow out my hair before, but every six months or so after a haircut the bottom one-two inches of my hair gets so much iron buildup from my hard water that it is dry, rusty-red, rough, and gets split ends very easily. My questions: Has anyone else here had this problem? and: Is there any way to get rid of the buildup without having two inches chopped off the bottom of my hair a couple times a year? One hairdresser said something about a chemical cleaner I could use, but I couldn't find it anywhere, and it doesn't sound very... um, healthy.

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Who was it who had the miracle water she made with citric acid? Ah, here's a cached link. You need a chelating shampoo, I think though. The citric acid mix was to be done after each shampoo to prevent buildup IIRC.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Length
    Bob/Waist/Ankle
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Definitely invest in a shower filter. There are some for regular shower heads, and some for hand helds. I can't recommend one since I have yet to purchase one

45.5" - mid-thigh
    Here I Grow Again
    Amanda

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

If you can't get a shower filter, then I definitely would suggest the chelating shampoos. I know they sell some at Sally's Beauty Supply, if there is one near you.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Get your water tested before getting the shower filter so you know exactly what type of filter to buy. If you buy the wrong type of filter, it won't do you any good.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I'll second the others in saying that what you want is a chelating treatment. This is a shampoo or some other type of treatment which is designed specifically to remove minerals. You may not need to use this every wash, but you'll want to figure out the routine which uses it often enough. Nexxus AloeRid had a good reputation for this, but has been discontinued, and I haven't really followed the issue well enough to reccomend specific things to try, offhand.

You may also benefit from using a simple sulfate shampoo fairly regularly - focus on finishing with a good conditioner, as well, of course, but you may need the clean rinsing wash to help reduce buildup. A few people with water issues have had good results using TreSemme Vit. C shampoo. This is a simple formula, with ALS (which rinses very cleanly) as the primary detergent, and not much else.

If shampoo irritates your scalp, you might just shampoo from the neck down, to clean the bulk of your hair, and then do a CO soak all over to clean your scalp and condition your length. (Sort of a reverse CWC.)
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

From what I've read, the standard shower-head water filter won't do anything for the majority of minerals in the water; best it can do is filter chlorine. The more expensive whole-house filtration system can handle actually filtering iron/calcium/whatever. *Not* an expert on this so standard disclaimer applies..I was asking around a bit ago because of the heavy deposits I get in my shower from our hard water.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I know some members have used this stuff and liked it. I have no personal experience with it, but it may be worth a try

http://www.ecmode.com/content/Cn_Hai...oloration.aspx

went to the website and was all excited to find a product that would help deal with well water! but then i read the ingredient list: EDTA! i'm horribly allergic to this chemical. sigh. i could certainly use something to remove the mineral discoloration but the rash i get from EDTA just isn't worth it. sigh.

movie zombie

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
    went to the website and was all excited to find a product that would help deal with well water! but then i read the ingredient list: EDTA! i'm horribly allergic to this chemical. sigh. i could certainly use something to remove the mineral discoloration but the rash i get from EDTA just isn't worth it. sigh.

movie zombie
    EDTA is (I think) the chelating ingredient. So you'll have this in any chelating product.

You might have good success by having someone wash your hair for you, with you sitting with your back to a sink, as one does in a salon. They can apply it to your length only, (neck or shoulders down) keeping it off of your scalp, and rinse well, so your hair can benefit from removing the minerals, while your skin doesn't have to deal with the EDTA. Perhaps follow with a clarifying shampoo to remove any EDTA residue, and then a good conditioning deep treatment.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20