Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat dangerous for our hair

Length
    16/16/40
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Heat dangerous for our hair

Well, i think that i have got that right , NOT use things that can damage your hair with heat, BUT how about sauna??

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Heat dangerous for our hair

I don´t think the sauna is damaging. The straightening iron gets about 200°C hot, the sauna only 90-100°C. Some people like to protect their hair with a towel, though; IMO the best thing you can do is what you did yesterday: do a nice deep treatment, wrap a towel around your head and relax. Good for you, good for your hair!

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Warm moist heat is not a bad thing for hair. Many of us load up our hair with conditioners and/or oils and use a heat cap. I don't think a sauna would be much different. The heat that damages is a high heat directly applied with metal plates (curling iron and straightening iron) or the high heat blast from a blow dryer. I'd say enjoy your saunas and maybe make them a time for deep conditioning your hair.

I am not here to decorate your world

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My rule of thumb for heat and hair is this: if it's hot enough to injure your skin or damage your nails, it's hot enough to damage your hair.

I don't think a sauna would be all that harmful given that it doesn't generally damage your skin, but you'll probably want to either do a deep treatment after or possibly protect your hair with a towel.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16/16/40
    Type
    1a/F/i

Ok, thank you all, i think iŽll wrap a towel around my hair

Length
    10 in/14.5/27 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i

Heat and steam from the sauna will raise your cuticles of course, and restore your hydrogen bonds, thus the poof and frizz in hi-humidity. When I use the sauna, (a lot), I always layer some oil or conditioner on my hair when it's dry, right before I go in. This way when the cuticles do open up, they drink in all that good stuff. I'm an ACV freak and always follow anything like that with an ACV rinse but that's just me
    Last edited by alys; October 12th, 2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: sp
    'You are the master of the spoken word! Once it has left your tongue you are it's slave' -Krushchev - I've opted out of the friends program - please no requests -

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

This is not really an LHC advise, just something I've learned along the way:

- always wet your hair before going in the heat
    - protecting the hair with towel or sauna hat would be very good. I think sauna hat's are not possible option for long hairs unless you make one yourseld that is big enough
    - Using the time for deep treatment is perfect!

ETA: At least many electric saunas here are not very steamy at all, the air is quite dry. It's different in saunas warmed up with wood/ traditional sauna. I think some folks may think more like steam room when they hear the word sauna.
    Last edited by Arctic; October 12th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I cannot believe I signed on to see this question. Just this morning I was in my gym's steam sauna and I was wondering just the same thing, I made a mental note to ask on the forum but of course I forgot.

Thanks so much for asking, I can't wait to see all the information!

Length
    bald/waist/term?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I wouldn't think a damp heat would be damaging but dry heat might. It would be a perfect opportunity to do a deep treatment, maybe with oils or conditioner under a towel or something. If it is dry heat, at least dampen the hair first.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

ETA: At least many electric saunas here are not very steamy at all, the air is quite dry. It's different in saunas warmed up with wood/ traditional sauna. I think some folks may think more like steam room when they hear the word sauna.

Good point about the electric saunas having very dry air, I used to take saunas a lot in the past and the air was exceptionally dry. Sometimes I would put conditioner on my hair before I went in but regretfully not always.....back then I wasn't as hair-aware as I am now.