Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you combine conditioners?

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default can you combine conditioners?

I've got a ton of half-used conditioners lying around, and I was wondering if it was okay to combine some of them to get rid of the bottles, and if it was safe to use the combined conditioners.

Most have cones in them, but a few don't. Is it okay to combine cone and cone-free conditioners? I also have a few 2n1 shampoo/conditioners- can I combine them with regular conditioners?

I really want to get rid of some bottles and not feel so bad about buying more- help reassure me!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It's OK to combine them -- they shouldn't self-destruct or anything. However, it might be harder to diagnose what's wrong if your hair doesn't like something, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't mix the 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner mixtures with the conditioners, but I'm sure it would work to mix multiple bottles of those together. If you mix them with your normal conditioners, you'll be reducing the conditioning properties they have by adding detergents to the mix.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Eek, I would be wary of combining a bunch of conditioners longterm. There is the small chance they could react together with some mix of chemicals and spoil or worse. Mixing bottles to be used within a short time span (say, a week or two) is probably ok though.

Length
    bald/11/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I used to do this, but I'd just mix little amounts before conditioning my hair. But there shouldn't be a reason why one couldn't mix conditioners...

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Your biggest problem with diluting conditioners comes from diluting it with water, it throws off the preservative balance. If you're just mixing two conditioners, I doubt you would have the same problem. It should be fine.

I don't reccomend combining a 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner with conditioner unless you're looking to make a more conditioning shampoo (and even then I'm not sure how good that would be). Combining a 2-in-1 with another 2-in-1 probably won't cause any weird things.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Well my Kiss my Face conditioner was already 1/3 gone, so I combined it with my Redken color protect conditioner. I figure that it'll protect my color and still work for CO, and I'm definitely planning on using it within a week.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

im always doing this but mine are all cone free, im forever opening new bottles when i am still half way through one, so to have a clear out i just mix them up and slap it on! ive never had any problem with it.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'd be a little wary because not all cosmetic ingredients are compatible. You might end up with chemical warfare right in your bathroom. Well, probably not... but anyway. If it were me, I'd store the mass somewhere and only use one bottle at a time in the bathing area. But that's just me.

Type
    3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    im always doing this but mine are all cone free, im forever opening new bottles when i am still half way through one, so to have a clear out i just mix them up and slap it on! ive never had any problem with it.
    Me too. It has never caused any problems.

Lady Myhriss of Beauty Afire

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I do it all the time and I've done it for years. Sometimes I combine then as I use them, as in a handful of this and a glob of that. When I have a few almost gone bottles of conditioner, I'll pour them all in to one bottle and shake it up to mix. I've never had a problem doing this. I actually think I get better results this way. I have a liter bottle of Regis OO going right now to which I've added several other conditioners. As far as I can remember they were all cone free. I've never mixed 2-in-1's with conditioner. I think I'd avoid doing that unless it was with another 2-in-1. I mix shampoos and body washes all the time in a large pump bottle but only use it for body wash.
    Last edited by Carolyn; April 18th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.

I am not here to decorate your world