Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for trimmers

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Question for trimmers

It has been around 9+ months since my last trim (pre-lhc). I was using cones up until the beginning of this month and my ends looked okay. Have now been cone free and see some splits... nothing major, but they are definitely there. Not every hair (not even half) and maybe only a millimeter long. Were the cones covering it? Should I trim asap? I would really like to wait to finish this month (to track growth) but don't want further damage.
    They really don't look gross (as far as I can tell), just the usual awkward shag from growing layers w/out a trim.
    I am currently just past BSL and goal is waist (about 4-5 inches to go). Last month I grew an inch....
    Trim for health or keep going for now??
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Length
    14/?/65
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Question for trimmers

I would trim just enough to be rid of them as I've heard that splits can travel up the length of the hair...for whats its worth, its what I do, about twice a year a half inch snipped off just to be safe.

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

If there really aren't that many, and the ends aren't snarly and dried out... just do a bit of Search and Destroy? That's what I've been doing, personally, rather than straight-across trims. It seems a bit of a waste to cut off half to an inch of otherwise healthy hair for just a few scattered splits.

Length
    long/Short/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I see from your sig picture that you seem to have natural looking ends (not super blunt), so if you want to preserve that, you might want to just snip the splits off individually. However, if you want a blunt hemline, a 1/4 inch trim would neaten things out, and not set you very far back.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the splits travelling up the hair. If that was true, I would have a head full of massive splits. My hair is fingertip length and prone to splits, which I'm not particularly great at cutting off regularly.

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by dancingmegs View Post
    I see from your sig picture that you seem to have natural looking ends (not super blunt), so if you want to preserve that, you might want to just snip the splits off individually. However, if you want a blunt hemline, a 1/4 inch trim would neaten things out, and not set you very far back.

I don't think you need to worry too much about the splits travelling up the hair. If that was true, I would have a head full of massive splits. My hair is fingertip length and prone to splits, which I'm not particularly great at cutting off regularly.
    They are actually sorta U shaped... less so, since I have not been trimmed.... I was VERY impatient in my siggy pic and the ends were still a little wet
    Not sure how I feel about the ends... personally, on me, I don't think I would like fairytale ends..... but I really don't think I want blunt either... somewhere in between suits me best... probably the U that I am currently growing out...
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/hip/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I think your hair looks good. If you feel you need to trim, I'd agree with taking only about 1/4 " off for now. Then check it again in 3 or 4 months and see how it's going.

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

It's normal to stop using cones and then mysteriously find damage, as that's what the cones do - they seal the hair shaft, and sometimes you can't see splits until after you've clarified and stopped using cones. I agree with just doing the S&D. Even in your sig pic, which you say was a rushed pic, your ends look very nice and natural. And as someone else posted, there's no need to take off an entire layer of hair just for a few splits.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    16"/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I trim about every 8-10 months. Works for me!

Length
    chin/shldr/hips
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by friskybiznus View Post
    I think your hair looks good. If you feel you need to trim, I'd agree with taking only about 1/4 " off for now. Then check it again in 3 or 4 months and see how it's going.

I agree

Length
    Buzz/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

The last inch or so in your sig pic definitely stands out from the rest of your hair to me. I was going to suggest a 1/4" trim, but if you only trim once a year, better make it 1".