Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over the counter drugs that can cause hair loss

Length
    BSL/?/50"
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Default Over the counter drugs that can cause hair loss

I broke both my legs in March 2009 and was taking a lot of Ibuprofen for inflamation. I realized I was having more hair loss than normal. I went online hoping to find an answer and this is what I found. Some of you may already know this... but it may be helpful to a few

Common over the counter drugs that can cause hair loss in some cases are Ibuprofen and naproxen. You might get rid of your fever with ibuprofen, but you'll get a big headache if you see your hair falling out. Risk of hair loss with these over the counter medications is very low, but it does happen. Also, taking to much vitamin A over a period of time is known to cause hair loss or thinning.

Certain prescription drugs for arthritis, gout, blood thinners, high blood pressure, ulcers, Parkinson disease, cholesterol lowering and chemotherapy are associated with hair loss issues. Again, ask your doctor if there is another medication that you can take if you are experiencing hair loss.

Length
    14/?/65
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Over the counter drugs that can cause hair loss

I am throwing out my ibuprofen and buying aspirin. Thanks for the tip. Who'd have guessed?

Length
    21"/29.5/34"+
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by redwoman View Post
    I am throwing out my ibuprofen and buying aspirin. Thanks for the tip. Who'd have guessed?
    aspirin has its own risks! all medications have risks of some sort. depending on how often you take it, aspirin might actually be WORSE for you! easiest way to figure out what to take: ask your doctor.
    grow little hairs! grow!

Type
    2a/C/iii

I am sadly taking 17-24 tablets a day while waiting for spine surgery for a slipped disc. No hair loss yet but I will certainly keep an eye out.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    0.0/TB/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

You mentioned prescription drugs for arthritis: I had tailbone length when I had to start methotrexate and I lost all my hair. Before taking any meds, one should carefully evaluate benefits versus potential problems. Sometimes we really need the med, and there is no alternative, but sometimes we can avoid the side effects by finding another drug.

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I take many meds and I have very, very little shed. It amazes me somethings when I look at my comb or shower drain. I just barely shed. Less than 100 hairs a day that I am aware of.

I take:

Seroquel
    Topamax
    Lamictal
    Trileptal
    Listoril

Also:

Biotin for my hair
    Glucosamine MSM for my joints
    Multivitamin for those folks over 50 years of age
    Baby Aspirin for a blood thinner per my cardiac docs instruction

I rarely rarely take ibuprophen and NEVER take tylenol. I take no cough medicine or anything for cold/cough symptoms or anything like that. I have enough junk in my system without adding more than what the docs have prescribed. So I just work on my immune system and wash my hands alot (I'm a retired nurses so it's habit anyway).

We eat lots of meat, raw goat milk and eggs all of these raised on our farm. So lots of protein/nutrients for hair growth.(sorry, off topic a bit).

a new journey begins

Length
    18"/BSL/term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

good to know! thanks for the info
    Sail Away where no ball and chain can keep us from the roaring waves Captain Adiranna Brightwing of the Flame-Sailed Ship in the Order of the long Haired Knights

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Yayasmurf View Post
    I broke both my legs in March 2009

I just wanted to ask are you doing okay? It must be awful with both legs trying to heal up.

a new journey begins

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Esperanza View Post
    You mentioned prescription drugs for arthritis: I had tailbone length when I had to start methotrexate and I lost all my hair. Before taking any meds, one should carefully evaluate benefits versus potential problems. Sometimes we really need the med, and there is no alternative, but sometimes we can avoid the side effects by finding another drug.
    Yes or finding a natural way of treating it. Also sometimes we must do research ourselves because doctors sometimes minimize the risks that are associated with medicines. They are inclined also to give you a pill before anything else and then when that causes problems to give you another pill for that and on and on and on. I have had and heard of many experiences like this and not just with one particular doctor but with MANY different medical doctors.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Quote Originally Posted by Curlsgirl View Post
    Yes or finding a natural way of treating it. Also sometimes we must do research ourselves because doctors sometimes minimize the risks that are associated with medicines. They are inclined also to give you a pill before anything else and then when that causes problems to give you another pill for that and on and on and on. I have had and heard of many experiences like this and not just with one particular doctor but with MANY different medical doctors.
    Woah, Nelly, back up for a minute. For minor little things like the common cold and whatnots, sure, natural it up. But don't start spreading the news that "Drinking goat's milk and a supplement of cranberry seeds every day cures cancer." Real diseases and illnesses need real medicine. I can't stand snake oil salesmen shistering people out of their lives by claiming there are "natural" or "herbal" cures to cancer or HIV - there aren't.

Thank you, mini rant over. I'm all for chucking out the harmful chemicals and eating food free of fillers and unecessary additives, but please use common sense and do plenty of research.
    Last edited by Zombiekins; September 8th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.