Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Bangs Help

Length
    11 in/BSL+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Heavy Bangs Help

I recently read a post about another member thinking about dying her hair dark and getting bangs like Zooey Deschanel. Being the impulsive person I am, I immediately wanted the heavy bangs again.I used to have to about a year ago, but I didn't understand how to keep them up.Can someone help me a)figure out how to cut heavy bangs myself b)how to keep them up daily(do i round brush them...what?)Should I use gel on them...ect.

I remember loving my bangs because they hid acne on my forehead, and made my blue eyes pop.

My current bangs look like thisa little bit shorter)

What I want:

Thanks!
    Last edited by WelshLocks; August 13th, 2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: The image was HUGE!
    Lady Aoide of the picture box in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Goals: Ultimate goal:32"(solid waist) with no layers above 25"

Length
    Shldr/Clbn/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Heavy Bangs Help

haha Im the one who made ther other post with Zooey. When I had bangs like that I never round brushed them, I just combed them and let them airdry sort of chunky cause that how hers are.

Length
    15/27/30
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

A few weeks ago I was wanting Zooey bangs, but I have a small widow's peak/some cowlicks in my hairline, so I remembered that bangs don't cooperate with me.

The Zooey bangs could make a round face look rounder, and they would probably give you less hair in your ponytail, if that's an issue.

ETA: I skipped your question! lol. I really don't have any styling advice, as my hairs pretty straight. Sorry!

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bttrfly857 View Post
    A few weeks ago I was wanting Zooey bangs, but I have a small widow's peak/some cowlicks in my hairline, so I remembered that bangs don't cooperate with me.

The Zooey bangs could make a round face look rounder, and they would probably give you less hair in your ponytail, if that's an issue.

ETA: I skipped your question! lol. I really don't have any styling advice, as my hairs pretty straight. Sorry!
    I had the same experience with bangs - too much work for me! They also would get greasier far more quickly than the rest of my hair, and so I had to wash them daily. I used a BBB and blowdrier to try to keep them shaped and in place.
    Also, if you're already concerned with acne on your forehead, bangs can sometimes aggravate that.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

With your hairtype you might need to use heat on your bangs to make them lie straight like Zooey's. Its a really cute look if you can pull it off!

I'd use the two week rule though, because those bangs are cut much deeper than Jessica Alba's and you might miss the extra thickness in the length, and growing it back out will be a pain. I know this from experience in cuting bangs a bit deeper than I should have. You would also have to cut them more often; depending on how quick your hair grows you might have to trim every other week. I'm assuming you know how to upkeep your own bangs, though.

To cut the bangs I would blow dry them straight and cut them straight-ish, a bit below where your want them to hit. That way you can see what your doing to cut the shape just right. Zooey's bangs are just below her cheekbones on the outer edges and gently U to just brush the tips of her eyelashes. Depending on your thickness you might have to add hair to thicken the bangs up. Zooey also has a deeper bang; typical bangs end at the tips of the eybrows.

Whichever you decide,you should join the Bangs/Fringe Group and post pics!
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

Length
    17?/~26.5/~31
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I love Zooey's look! I got her heavy bangs too- though I have a natural parting in my hair that tends to make a part on the right side some times- so it's not always an all-over solid fringe across the entire forehead look (which drives me crazy sometimes!)

Right now, they've grown out too long and I have to wear them side parted, otherwise I can't see! Hahaha. I need to get them trimmed! I wish I could trim them myself, but I worry I'd just screw them all up.

I just would either comb them straight while wet and let them dry, or if I was in a hurry- I'd lightly blow dry them while brushing with a round barrel brush.

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I recently cut heavy bangs... I can tell you how I did it. Here's a pic of my result.

I actually have cut them shorter now, that was the first bash and they already need another trim. Fast growth is sometimes annoying.

Anyway right, the first thing I did was sectioned off what I wanted to cut in a triangle at my hairline, with the back point aimed towards the crown up the middle of my parting. Clear as mud, right?

Then I put the rest of my hair up and brushed out that bit and cut it off at the level of my chin, then my nose, then gradually (and I mean GRADUALLY) with my scissors pointed UPWARDS at a slight diagonal instead of straight across snipped off tiny tiny bits of hair at a time until I got to a level I was satisfied with.

I now have to straighten them daily, however, as my wavy hairtype makes them go all wonky if I don't.
    Pegs

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I feel better because I wear bangs very similar to that and I was beginning to think they were out of style! I went on a trip to Chicago last week and I saw literally under 5 people with bangs at eyebrow length! Turns out THEY are all the ones behind the times! HA HA, just kidding of course!

Anyway, my bangs usually require little maintenance, just round brush blow drying and touchups once in a while with an iron. But since I keep them trimmed heat damage doesn't ever show at all so I don't worry about it.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    Pixie/26.5"/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I love Zooey D's hair. I think it's so pretty. Every couple of years, I try to do bangs again, knowing full well the problems they bring, and every couple of years, I wish I hadn't done it. They tend to look greasy and piecey too quickly for my taste and make my forehead break out.

(a) Here is a tutorial on youtube with cutting heavy bangs. I really like the way these turned out (and after stumbling across it a couple weeks ago, REALLY wanted to cut some myself!). In some of her other videos, they look a lot cuter.

(b) You have to make sure that your bangs are thick enough; otherwise, they will always look wispy and piecey, which I don't think is what you're after. After washing my hair, I would usually use a paddle-type brush just to get the ends to flip under a teensy tiny bit, then blowdry. Sometimes I would use a round brush but my problem was either the 'curl' would be too tight and look silly or there would be a flat straight section near the hairline then the curl, so it looked like a ledge or something. Sometimes I would squirt 'em with hairspray but not usually. If they got piecey during the day, I would use a small comb to fix them up. They are awful in hot weather, though, and would stick to my forehead.
    Last edited by brista; August 13th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

What about getting clip in bangs?

http://www.hairextensions.com/clip_i...6375&WT.srch=1