Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chemical coloring and healthy hair?

Default chemical coloring and healthy hair?

can you still color your hair with the box chemical stuff from walmart or wherever and still grow long healthy hair ? my roots are really showing and I don't know whether to color or not

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I have highlights and have my roots done every 4-7 weeks. I have long healthy hair with virtually no split ends. I get one hair dusting done a year.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    CHN/APL/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I used to do it, back when I had long hair. I did it a lot when my hair was short. It didn't cause too much damage for me, but I know it did for some people. I think it really depends on your hair. My hair could probably hold up to anything, I mean I bleached it at home from black to blonde...The bleach is the only thing that ever did real damage to my hair. But again, it is up to your hair. I know I made the choice to color when I had long hair before and I will color again as I grow out now, but it may vary from person to person.

Length
    21/32/35
    Type
    2c/M/iii

You can def. have dyed healthy hair, as long as you take care of it! Lots of deep condition treatments and you should be fine!

Length
    16ASL/26BSL/36WST
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Depends on your hair. I used to color like crazy and had healthy hair, but at about 24 years old that started to change, now my hair gets damaged if I color.

Bleach is worse on my hair than dying darker, Highlights at the salon are the worst for me.

Length
    25,1/41/50
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I have been dying my hair with chemical dyes for 5 years now,I'm growing my hair long for 4 years and it's healthy!
    To live is to love the pain !

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

Theres a social group here called Chemical Heads that all of its members still use chemical dyes.I had extrememly damanged hair from dyeing but I wasn't taking proper care of it either.Now I know the tricks to keep it healthy,I have healthy dyed hair Beware though-oils and other treatments are known to lighten hair and take out dye.It does take your hair sometime to recooperate after dying,so what may seem like it killed your locks,give it sometime to repair itself
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Like previous posters have mentioned, it depends on the condition of your hair.

Look at it this way- if you take really good care of your hair in other ways (no heat, using a wide-toothed comb, oiling/deep conditioner, etc) then the coloring shouldn't affect your hair as bad.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

posted wrong place
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Chemically coloured hair is going to be somewhat damaged and that's just a fact of life. Babying it can really help though.

I colour my hair myself with box dye, and have done so for years. I deep condition it frequently, make sure it's lightly oiled for protection, and never use heat appliances. My hair, while not as healthy as virgin hair, is in very good shape. COing has also been a big help for me.