Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Damaging Is it?

Question How Damaging Is it?

Hi everyone!
    I have a question for you all as I have asked people not on this site and no one knows the answer. I currently am growing out a pixie cut. Since all the layers are looking messy growing out, I use gel and hairspray to make it look messy on purpose. I use a lot of product and my hair feels sticky afterward and I have to wash it. I don't style my hair this way every day, only when I am trying to look dressy. (like twice a week for church) I plan to stop using so much as soon as my hair gets long enough to look good without. So my question is, is using a lot of drying products a few times a week really damaging? I feel more tempted to cut when I don't style it.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: How Damaging Is it?

I believe, and I could be wrong, but I believe the damaging aspect of styling products like gels, hairsprays, and mousses (heehee, mousses... ) is not so much that they're drying, but that the purpose of them is to "stick" the hairs to one another. And then when you go to brush it out (I used to always brush out gel and hairspray whenever I'd use it), you're ripping apart the hairs that were "glued" together. That can theoretically rip off the cuticle (the protective outer layer) of the hair, which weakens and damages the hair shaft. You can check out Nightshade's article on damaged hair for way cool zoomed in pictures of damaged hair, including some pics of hairsprayed-then-brushed-out hair, if I'm not mistaken.

ETA: Congrats on reaching 25 posts!
    Note: My starting length of APL is from long before I'd ever heard of the LHC. That's just when I started consciously growing my hair out again.

Capaciously Curly redcelticcurls's Avatar
    Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I use gel every time I do my hair. Many others with my hairtype do too.

The main thing for me is to avoid the drying alcohols, a common one being alcohol denat. or denatured alcohol.

Also, I never brush or comb it dry with gel in it. I get it wet, put conditioner in, and then get out the comb or use my fingers.
    Coarse, porous curly. User of conventional dye and conventional products.
    Lady Coventina of the Sacred Spring in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    CHIN/APL/CL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

They're pretty damaging stuff. They contain tons of alcohol which dries out hair to no end. Best to stay away from that stuff. Some of the people here use aloe vera gel.

Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NiAosSi View Post
    They're pretty damaging stuff. They contain tons of alcohol which dries out hair to no end. Best to stay away from that stuff. Some of the people here use aloe vera gel.
    Many gels (can't speak for hairspray since I don't use it) are alcohol free nowadays.

Length
    27/33/46
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Someone else asked a similar question not too long ago. The answer I agree with (and I think a lot of other people do too) is that you need to be happy with your hair as you grow it, so if you need to use styling products until it gets a bit longer, go ahead. If you need to flat iron it, go ahead. If you want to slick it up with cones, go ahead. Be happy with your hair. There may be some damage, but it will be to a very small amount of hair and will be easy to trim off later.

Length
    Some/Happy/N/A
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by shadowclaw View Post
    Someone else asked a similar question not too long ago. The answer I agree with (and I think a lot of other people do too) is that you need to be happy with your hair as you grow it, so if you need to use styling products until it gets a bit longer, go ahead. If you need to flat iron it, go ahead. If you want to slick it up with cones, go ahead. Be happy with your hair. There may be some damage, but it will be to a very small amount of hair and will be easy to trim off later.
    That's a good philosophy

Account Closed by Member Request

I use gels and mousses but I add a good leave-in conditioner first and then add product and this helps reduce the drying out. I don't try to comb or brush my hair if it feel producty or stuck together....I totally wet my head, add tons of conditioner, and then work out the tangles or ickiness. No damage from the using or removing of these.
    Last edited by Speckla; August 9th, 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Length
    9in/20in/3ft
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I'm not a fan of gels or hair styling products, but if you are tempted to cut your hair if it's not styled then it probably won't hurt your hair too bad. You could give your self a stopping goal, like, saying " I'll stop geling my hair when it's at chin length, etc". You should do some type of clarifying wash though, maybe ACV rinse or I heard some people use baking soda mixed with shampoo to get build up out, I don't know how much though. Or maybe just a good clarifying shampoo. Then again some people can do hair gels and such and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. You should do what makes your hair feel gorgeous to you. Good luck on your growing!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hi Shortgoinglong there is a gel that is good for your hair. Check the recipe section for Flax seed gel, it is very easy to make.HTH