Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Amish observations

Length
    26"/38"/Clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Amish observations

Last week, we spent a week with an Amish family, and I made some observations I thought were interesting.

According to my Amish friend, Esther, they do not cut their hair at all. Esther is about 35, and her hair is about classic length. They wash their hair once a week, and then put it up in braids or a hair ball (bun). Her daughter has hair about to her knees, and she says her mother's hair is shorter than hers (I didn't see it down) due to damage and breakage. I thought it interesting that as protected as their hair is, they still have that much damage and breakage that would keep it above classic length. Granted, they do not trim their ends to get rid of their damage, and that may escalate the damage.

Her other daughter showed me a really cool braiding style that uses no pins, and you can leave in all week! I'll put up a picture in my gallery, and work on getting some directions written.

Default Re: Amish observations

I'll bet that was an interesting week. I really enjoy the opportunity to spend time and learn about people with different cultural experiences.

I can't wait to see the information about the braid you describe. I'm intrigued.

Length
    26/31.5/47
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It sounds really interesting.
    There is an other motivation to spend time on S&D

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

That sounds so interesting, but I want to know why the mother's hair is significantly shorter than her daughter's?? What kind of damage can an Amish woman's hair sustain in her daily life to cause that much breakage?? Hmmmnn????

Of course they don't believe in vanity, so they probably don't give their hair a fraction of the attention we do.

Length
    26"/38"/Clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I've posted the picture here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=46818

Quick description:

Each side is divided into 3 vertical sections. The front section is braided all the way down. When completed, the second section is braided together with the first. When completed, the third section is braided together with the first 2 sections. When both sides are done you will have 2 braids (she tied them with a long piece of yarn). These are crossed and then brought up to be threaded through a loop created where the first and sections are braided together and pull them up tight. They are crossed again, and threaded through the same loop (outside to inside). When the ends are short enough, the yarn is tied together in a bow, and the braid ends can be tucked in. I've had this in 5 days now without touching it, and it's just a little fuzzy! Again, when I can get a sample head, I will try to get some better pictures of it being done. Not sure yet if I can do this to myself, but I think I can.

Length
    26"/38"/Clssc
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    That sounds so interesting, but I want to know why the mother's hair is significantly shorter than her daughter's?? What kind of damage can an Amish woman's hair sustain in her daily life to cause that much breakage?? Hmmmnn????

Of course they don't believe in vanity, so they probably don't give their hair a fraction of the attention we do.
    I should have been paying more attention when they were washing - I didn't notice if they used conditioner. They did have a shampoo in the bathroom that was shampoo and conditioner together. But I don't think they spend any thought to the health of their hair.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

*shakes head* I think I'm more of a visual learner than written. You lost me there

It's gorgeous though!
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Nice Cool way to wrap.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Can someone explain this to me with photos or a paint program. My brain is just not working today
    ~Dare to Dream~

~Lady Aithon of the Fire-Shod Steed in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights~

Length
    42/shl+/shl+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Is the front sectinon smaller than the other two (and the back thicker)?

Or does the middle and last braid get uneven in it's sections?