Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Techniques for adding weight to hair

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Techniques for adding weight to hair

This is a thread for people who are prone to "floaty", weightless hair. Hair that often looks unkempt and frizzy and feels like cotton candy to the touch. Summer heat makes this problem much, much worse.

There have been threads on fine/wispy hair in the past, but this problem isn't really a finey problem exclusively. I consider myself a Medium in hair type and thickness, and I doubt I'm the only non-finey struggling with this.

So far, I have noticed that the following things help somewhat:

*Clarifying at least once a week.
    *Using non-cones conditioners most of the time.
    *Oiling in moderation.
    *Avoiding the blow dryer, even on Cool.

I have heard cassia helps add weight to hair and will soon order some.

Any experiences or suggestions welcome! I know there are many board members grappling with this issue.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Techniques for adding weight to hair

Aloe vera gel with a little oil, topped with a little coney serum help to make my hair a little more "substantial", less floaty.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii/iii

This applies to me as well. I think that half of my problem is that my hair needs some major length to weigh itself down. But since going co (I'm about a month in) I noticed that my hair is more 'floaty' than usual.

I really like all of your tips:
    *no cone conditioner--check
    *oiling in moderation--check
    *blow-dryer--my hair does do best when totally air-dried, but that would take half the day & is not realistic for me on most days, so I diffuse for only 5-10 minutes after air-drying for an hour or two
    *clarify--how often are you clarifying and what are you using?

And the cassia, I haven't read up on that yet. You'll have to let me know how that works for you, if you end up trying it before me.

Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I wanted to add that I think my hair looks beautifully smooth when I blow-dry it on warm/cool. It's a lot more likely to be "floaty" if I air dry it because the curlier bits lift and sort of "float" above the straighter bits. I have crazy, mixed-up hair!

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I finally caved in and tried blowdrying on cool the other day. I used the cool air while raking my fingers through my hair for about 5 minutes. Is this the right way to do it? Because it made my hair CRAZY floaty.

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dernhelm View Post
    I really like all of your tips:
    *no cone conditioner--check
    *oiling in moderation--check
    *blow-dryer--my hair does do best when totally air-dried, but that would take half the day & is not realistic for me on most days, so I diffuse for only 5-10 minutes after air-drying for an hour or two
    *clarify--how often are you clarifying and what are you using?
    Hey there, I don't do CO for that reason (& it makes my hair lank as well). Re. the clarifying, I haven't found a satisfying clarifying shampoo yet, but the best I've found is probably Suave clarifying. Also, Herbal Essences Drama Clean is decent and smells a bit better than the Suave.

I'm super excited to try cassia. I think it's just what my hair is begging for right now.

Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I finally caved in and tried blowdrying on cool the other day. I used the cool air while raking my fingers through my hair for about 5 minutes. Is this the right way to do it? Because it made my hair CRAZY floaty.
    I always use my AVG/oil/coney serum mixture or at least leave some of my conditioner in my hair first. Then I stretch my hair out with a comb or paddle brush and move the dryer down the shaft from above (never from underneath). I'm careful never to rake/tug with the comb or brush. If it slides down without resistance, I'll let it, otherwise I put the dryer down to reposition the comb or brush as needed. It takes AN HOUR, so I don't do it very often.

Length
    22'/22'/bsl+
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have this same problem with my hair becoming sort of "fluffy". What I am finding is that since changing my routine and joining LHC (in June) that my hair has grown quite a bit and that length is helping the fuzzy thing somewhat.

Also for me sulfate-free 'poo and no-cone condish in the shower works very well. Then a careful towel-dry, just a quick gentle squeeze really, then miminal touching while combing it out, and then I still slather on an alarming amount of leave-in condish with no problem.

It's dead summer w/ humidity so I still expect some frizz tho, until all damage is grown out, and the damage is measurable up to my ears still so I have a ways to go.

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I always use my AVG/oil/coney serum mixture or at least leave some of my conditioner in my hair first. Then I stretch my hair out with a comb or paddle brush and move the dryer down the shaft from above (never from underneath). I'm careful never to rake/tug with the comb or brush. If it slides down without resistance, I'll let it, otherwise I put the dryer down to reposition the comb or brush as needed. It takes AN HOUR, so I don't do it very often.
    An HOUR? D'oh, no wonder I didn't get good results.

Length
    13/23/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I have this problem too, especially when I CO. My hair isn't very long and I think the longer it gets and the heavier it is the less floaty my hair is. I like spidermom's mixture of things- I know that both oils and cones help to make my hair more "weighty" (opposite of floaty"?).