Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convertible Hair

Default Convertible Hair

In the summer I drive a convertible and was wondering what I could do to prevent tangles after the ride.

My hair is at the bottom of my shoulderblades and is usually pretty manageable. I don't quite know the type(I'll take a picture and compare later) but I have a minor body wave and the hair seems pretty fine.

My current method of avoiding damage is to wear a baseball cap and make a ponytail, and before that I thinly coat my hair with olive oil. I still get some tangles that take a good amount of time to take out without damaging the hair.

Any recommendations?

Length
    BSL/MID/TB

How about wearing a buff instead of a cap...less chance of the thing blowing off
    Ponytail or even braid sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I forgot to mention I'm a guy and that the car is a Corvette Convertible. In other words, I'm sometimes on a cruise with some people that are insecure themselves and prefer to not get ripped on for having a braid. The gold chain wearing, chest hair showing, bald head having, overcologned smelling, egotistical aura the public believes as a Corvette stereotype is alive and well in some owners.

I'm not quite sure what a buff is, it appears to be like a bandana of sorts and I'm going to check that out in person. Looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the comment!

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I'm a guy
    Well forget my suggestion then, I was going to recommend the classic scarf look.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16/23.5/30
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

You can wear a buff like a beanie, perhaps you could try that and tuck your ponytail into the beanie if you have a look at www.buffwear.co.uk they have some good video clips showing the different ways to wear a buff.
    1b/f/i
    growing out the sparklies

Length
    24/36/??
    Type
    1b/F/ii

To expand on that idea, I wonder if your friends might be amenable to the sort of cap used by buff Jamaican guys to keep back their dreadlocks?

---

Edited to add a link: more info here, and some pictures of one style here (in this case, thin cotton yarn and a loose weave would allow air to circulate). My husband has also used dampened t-shirt material as a dewrag (not him, BTW, just someone else's picture).
    Last edited by Hue; April 13th, 2008 at 02:52 PM.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

what about a hairglove? You can find them HERE
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    24/36/??
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I had forgotten about the Hair Gloves -- that's a great idea. Another option is to wrap the length (maybe in black fabric) to bind it up. Looks kind of like a club, so definitely not on the girly side. However, that would take preparation (at least until you are familiar with it), so something like the Hair Glove would be less fuss and attract less attention.

I have also seen longer leather sleeves for hair, and I've seen some guys wrap the length of the ponytail with a crisscross of long thin leather straps, tied at the bottom. Again, it makes it kind of into a club.

I may try out a hairglove or make something similar. Looks like a nice option.

Thanks!

under some trees, where the clouds meet the ground
    Length
    pixie/waist/term.

In addition to the hairgloves, have you ever seen any of the fitted bandannas marketed to bikers? From my own experience, I can say one of those and a braid will stand up to almost anything. Btw, I see no problem with a braid, but if you just aren't willing to try one, maybe a ponytail with multiple elastics down the length?

ps - I can't tell you what to do, but personally, I don't like to let other people's insecurities determine my behavior. Do what YOU want to do, and don't worry about them
    Last edited by Shirlpunzel; April 13th, 2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: punctuation

Sometimes lurking, always growing my hair