Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So where is this 'hip' thing, anyway?

Length
    APL/Tbl/Clssc
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default So where is this 'hip' thing, anyway?

I actually posted this in my blog a bit earlier, but then I decided I'd probably get a better response if I put it here instead and deleted it.

So I've been having some issues figuring out exactly where "hip length" is on me. A description I found somewhere was something like, "at your front hip bones", and I've simply got too much pudge around that area to tell for sure on my own. I'd love some feedback, but I've also taken a couple of pictures with my hands at the area I figure is more or less hip length.

Y'know, where I place my hands when I'm putting them on my hips and it feels like a sort of comfortable area to place them. Hip length is my next goal before tailbone (which is still about 5 to 6 inches away) so knowing where it is is...probably a good idea.

So assuming my hands mark hip length (and please tell me if you think they don't), I might be about an inch or two away at the longest, here?

And having just about reached it when it's stretched?

I'll call this "progress" in any case. And do please excuse the sunny glare.

Currently: tailbone length
    Next goal: classic length

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: So where is this 'hip' thing, anyway?

To ME, hip is the front hip bones (not the back of the pelvis where your hands are resting). Your pelvis is tilted forward, so the hip in the front is lower. Pudge or not, you should be able to feel your hip bones in the front Try laying on your side and finding them.

I would still call that waist. You've got a couple inches more (IMHO) before hip. Of course, I'm not the hairlength police so others might say otherwise . But it looks fabulous!!

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I think you are right, Manderly.

Waist is usually about where the navel is. High hip is usually right about where the hair down there starts.

Those are the references I use when measuring people for clothes anyway.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

For me, hip is smack dab half way between 'waist' and 'TB'

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Mad SCIENTIST!
    Length
    1/26.5/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I agree that your hands are at hip level for your body. For me, with my body shape, "hip" is a fair bit lower than the tops of my hip bones. I'd guess (though it is difficult to compare when I can't really see your back) that I'd call hip for my shape a squinch lower than where it is on you. I don't think the bones come into it at all; just your shape.

Edit: Stretched, I'd say it hits hip, but I wouldn't call it hip until it hits there naturally. /edit

By the way, is TB the start of the, er, lower reverse cleavage?
    Last edited by Flynn; June 7th, 2009 at 01:44 AM.

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post

By the way, is TB the start of the, er, lower reverse cleavage?
    Yup When I asked I was informed that it was the top of the vertical smile

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    27ish/CICTH/clssc
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by misstwist View Post
    I think you are right, Manderly.

Waist is usually about where the navel is. High hip is usually right about where the hair down there starts.

Those are the references I use when measuring people for clothes anyway.

What do you mean by where High Hip starts? From what I understand, hip would be below tailbone if that were the case! I think it's where your hip bones start - and it looks like your hair isn't that far from it, Brianna, maybe just an inch or two.
    99% Dye free!
    Official hair-idiot of Measuringtown...
    avatar is Belle of Bonaventure, by Jasmine Becket-Griffith.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

After a quick check, I found that if I stand up and relax my shoulders, my elbows exactly hit my hip bones.
    I don't know if that's true for everyone, but you could see if that seems to feel right to you.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

To me, it looks like your hands are resting on your hips. I don't count hip length until your ends naturally fall to that level; pulling down a strand doesn't count. (but that's just me)

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraela View Post
    What do you mean by where High Hip starts? From what I understand, hip would be below tailbone if that were the case! I think it's where your hip bones start - and it looks like your hair isn't that far from it, Brianna, maybe just an inch or two.
    Sorry that wasn't clear. The hair down their starts at right around the top of the ilium and that is the high hip measurement used in making clothes. The low hip measurement is the fullest part of the rear, and usually corresponds to what we refer to as tailbone (or a little lower) in hair measurement terms.

I think in sewing measurements.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin