Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the Board...Long Hair advice?

Banned
    Length
    Buzz/4-5/36 in

Default New to the Board...Long Hair advice?

Hi I am new to the board and I love how it seems like everyone here is so supportive of one another in their quest for long hair. I have always had short hair like a buzz cut, but have always wanted to have really long hair. Finally, I have decided to grow my hair long. Starting from a buzz in February my hair is about 4 inches long right now. My goal is really long hair to mid back or maybe longer What do you think and any advice?

Default Re: New to the Board...Long Hair advice?

Just take good care of it and enjoy every stage of the process!

Banned
    Length
    Buzz/buzz/waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Pburgh56 View Post
    Hi I am new to the board and I love how it seems like everyone here is so supportive of one another in their quest for long hair. I have always had short hair like a buzz cut, but have always wanted to have really long hair. Finally, I have decided to grow my hair long. Starting from a buzz in February my hair is about 4 inches long right now. My goal is really long hair to mid back or maybe longer What do you think and any advice?
    I had a buzz for a realllllllllllllly long time too. After 8 months of growing, my longest hairs are beginning to brush my shoulders. Good luck growing! It'll be long before you know it.

Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome aboard!

Take very good care of your hair now, in a few years your ends will show it if you don't! I've found that blow drying and flat ironing are very damaging, even with the heat protectant sprays. Don't rake a comb through it, be gentle. Try not to let it whip in the wind (in a convertible or on a bike), it gets tangled and broken. Use shampoos and conditioners (or not) that make your hair and scalp happy. Try not to bleach it too much.

I'm sure there's a lot more info that you'll find here. Enjoy your hair journey!

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Welcome! I still feel new although I have been here a year and a half. Time flies when you're watching hair grow. Read all the old posts you can and read the articles here on different aspects of hair care. Learn the abbreviations or it will drive you nuts, for instance APL is "armpit length". Click around and become familiar with the site. Take pics of the back of your head (our favorite pose is back of the head with the hands on the hips it seems, LOL!!!) measure your hair from the forehead to the back of your hair ends. Then settle in and grow grow grow!

a new journey begins

Banned
    Length
    Buzz/4-5/36 in

Thanks everybody for your advice already. Im sooo ready for my journey. Im anxious to reach my mini goal of shoulder length and to have a ponytail. Feralnature, I love your picture. HOw long do u want ur hair?

Length
    ~15"/47"/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Welcome! Have fun roving.

Here's my tidbit to add to your collection: Term, or terminal, means the maximum length a hair will grow before it sheds out. The faster your hair grows, the longer your terminal length will be. Most people's hairs grow between 6-8 years before they shed. In other words, if your hair grows, say, and inch a month, you might be able to grow eight feet of hair before you hit terminal length.
    Last edited by Renbirde; May 31st, 2009 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Spelling fixes
    CLASSIC!

Length
    pixie/33.5"/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

The length between 2" and chin length were the most difficult and least flattering for me. I had to hold my hair back in clips because it wouldn't go in a ponytail and, if I wore it down, it would hang right in my face. College is more relaxed than real life, so this is a good time to change to a new hairstyle. May I suggest that you post your gender in your information to the left of your post so that everyone can see it? You might get more appropriate answers this way. Oh, and welcome!

Length
    19.5/27BSL/31WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm new to the boards as well, but have been lurking for a while. Here are two articles posted by a member who grew out from a buzz that you might find useful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=58 Guide to those who are starting over from very short

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=76 Updo suggestions for short and growing out

Banned
    Length
    Buzz/4-5/36 in

HI thanks for all the help. Lizzy I will def change that. Im male btw. and everyone here was beautiful hair