Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mainstream Myths and Mistakes

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Question Mainstream Myths and Mistakes

So, before you found LHC or did other research into hair care...

What were you led to believe, and by who?

What did you fall for?

What mistakes were you making on a regular basis without even knowing?

I was led to believe that only 'lucky' people could grow their hair long and have it look healthy. I was led to believe that extra long hair would always look damaged on the ends since the hair was the oldest. I was led to believe that salon products were always better. I was led to believe that damage, was inevitable.

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Mainstream Myths and Mistakes

What were you led to believe, and by who?
    By hairdressers:
    "Your bangs/sidehair can probably not grow long"
    "You need to cut your hair about every 6th to 8th week"
    "Salon products are best for your hair"

By friends:
    "If you cut your hair it grows faster" (I never fell for that one though)

What mistakes were you making on a regular basis without even knowing?
    I permed it regularly between age 13 to 32 (ish)
    I highlighted it reguarly between age 30 to 37 (ish)
    I let the hairdressers cut it too much every time

Back then I couldn't figure out why my hair never grew longer than between APL and BSL. Do'h!
    Last edited by Zindell; April 17th, 2009 at 05:36 AM.
    Lady Sjöfn of the Healing Heart, Warden of Silver and Gold, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

For me, it was the "salon products are better" hype. By hairdressers - they must get some commission for selling the stuff?

Honestly, I must have wasted a ton of money on coney Kérastase and Redken stuff when I could have used Body Shop shampoo and Aussie Miracle Moist with a dollop of honey!

I also didn't realise blow-drying was so bad for the hair. This will be why the sides of my hair never grew much! And I allowed them to flat-iron me.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    waist/29/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i

The biggest myth is the one that says that if you cut your hair will grow faster. The truth is that they never grow but how the hairdressers will going to make fortunes?

My biggest mistake is that as long as I was married I used to cut my hair in order to have them groomed. But this was far before I find LHC.
    I haven't cut my hair for about 6 years. ( satanic smile for the hairdressers hi hi hi ! )

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Another one that gets me is how some heating products like blow dryers and flat irons can claim that there is 'something' about their product that makes it less damaging somehow. You are BOILING your hair...going to get damage!

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Unofficial_Rose View Post
    For me, it was the "salon products are better" hype. By hairdressers - they must get some commission for selling the stuff?
    Ah yes! *adds that to my list too*

One of my hairdressers even told me how much commision she was getting for selling the stuff. And then tried to sell it to me...
    Lady Sjöfn of the Healing Heart, Warden of Silver and Gold, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/M/ii

I still get told that if I cut my hair it will grow faster. It will grow longer if I cut off 8 to 10 inches (no I never understood that one either).

Dying hair will improve its condition. (There's a big TV campaign at the moment with a well-known presenter sayng exactly that.)

Quite a lot of women ask me what shampoo/conditioner I use, and get a bit upset when they find out it's not expensive stuff. (And I don't even use the same brand all the time - currently using Elvive, but will change again when I come to the end of the bottle...)

I admit I just didn't listen to anyone. More to do with me being too lazy to do much than not believing them. Apart from the "cutting makes your hair grow faster" - well, that obviously is not true!

Length
    waist/clsc+/fngrt
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

- healthy hair equals clean hair, so wash with a 'quality' expensive (brand) shampoo every day, and use conditioner on the length every day.

- loads of brushing (also when wet) removes tangels which makes hair smoother and grow longer.

- hair down is less damage because hair is not contained.

- you must cut your hair every six weeks otherwise the damage goes up the hairshaft

-hair doens't have a longer growth cycle than four years
    Proud mom of three children; Lucius (5 yo), Juniper (4 yo) & Rowan (20 months) :

Length
    17/32/term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I believed it ALL, everything you have mentioned. Since I didn't have a clue about hair care, I believed everything my hair dresser told me, and everything my friends told me...

I also believed that using conditioner would make my hair greasy, even if I didn't use it near my scalp, because it would "travel up". () My mother told me that, and she also taught me how to wash my hair (pile it on my head to get it all clean)
    September 2012. Next mini goal: Hip!

Length
    16.1/19.3/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

yeah the cutting thing was a big one for me! bloody hairdressers :/
    ... now i just S&D

i also believed in all these stopid miracle grow formula junk thats out there

least i got you lot to steer me in the right direction eh haha