Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most protective bun?

Length
    3-14i/38/44 in
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Talking Most protective bun?

I just read (in horror) the thread about braids possibly causing damage, and I have been wearing my hair in one or two braids all the time..... during the day and night... oh no!
    I'm wondering if any of you long hair experts has noticed a particular bun that protects hair from damage the most?
    and whats a comfortable protective bun for night?
    longhairblessings

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Most protective bun?

I don't know what it's called but the type of bun which uses a sausage type thing always seemed the safest to me because there is no twisting, to sleep I put it right on top of my head - looks very silly - but also has the benefit of giving nice waves in the morning.

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I wear an orchid bun a LOT, there are instructions in the articles section on how to make one. My ends are securely underneath and it looks pretty and holds like a rock. I wear a hardhat at work, it has to hold!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

what a good thread, it would be good to know a good everyday, most protective bun, ill be keeping my eye on this one....

Type
    1b/F/i

Here's another one who will keep looking at this thread.

I wear my hair in a bun at night. I used to braid it, but it was always full of tangles in the morning. I thought that normal until I found this place.

The bun I wear is secured by a plastic comb, a kind of a cinnamon bun, but I sort of flip it, so that the orginal bottom is up. So far it has lasted all the night, but I don't toss and turn a lot. And the bun is not at my nape, it's more up.

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

At night I wear a beebutt bun right on top of my head. I wrap a scrunchie around the base to secure it.

Length
    N/A/48"/50"
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I think a braid can be damaging if it is worn for a long period of time with the hair not being properly moisurized or oiled. Due to having it constanly rubbing against your clothing with no give (due to the weight and the confinment of the braid) if this makes any sense. IMO just about any bun would be more protective than a lose braid so long as the ends are gently tucked away. My usual bun is a pony, braided and wraped. Although I also think it would not be a good idea to constantly wear the same up-do day after day as it may cause damage to repeatedly twist and clip in the in the same places.

As for sleeping, I think there will be many different opinions on this, but for me..I simply make sure that my hair is well detangled and slightly oiled before bed, I wear it lose hanging over the side of my bed and I use a satin pillow case. I have found that this seems to be the least damaging way for me scince buns are uncomfortable and braids tend to leave my hair very tangled by morning.

I smileys!

Length
    n/a/37"/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I find braided buns more protective than twisted or wrapped buns. The pinless braided bun is one of my favourites and very protective - especially if I don't tie off the braid. However, not tieing the braid worked better a few months ago, before I started to trim. My ends are more slippery now, and don't stay without tieing off the braid. Maybe with some more length...

I can't sleep with buns, so braids are my best option. To avoid friction, I put them in satin pouches. That keeps the ends and most of my length well protected during sleep.

1c/2a/F/ii, current length 37"
    BCL (37") reached! Next minigoal: TBL (40"). Final goal: Terminal

Length
    N/A/48"/50"
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Inspiral, I would think that Melli's sleeping method for her hair would be best suited for you also, scince you hair doesn't yet have the weight to hold your hair off of the side of your bed while it is down

I smileys!

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

That's a greath thread! I'm searching for new buns, since I don't want to continue wearing my cinnabun daily as it gave me breakage on my top layer. But I don't want buns that need a ponytail base.... I'll keep an eye on this thread!
    At true tailbone!