Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castor oil?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Question Castor oil?

Okay I heard Castor oil is good for your hair. I know it is great for my face. How do you use it on your hair? And why do you use it on your hair? Any recipes and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank Catladyintown

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I know that some people use it directly on their scalp, as it can encourage hair growth. I used it once, throughout all my hair, and was very sticky and very hard to wash out. Maybe if you mermaid soak, but I'll probably never put it in my hair again.
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

The best way I've found to use it is to put it in a small bottle (like a vitamin bottle), add something of a thick-ish consistency like honey, pureed fruit, conditioner, or aloe and shake it well. It is too thick to use on it's own, it is very tough to wash out.

Length
    19/28/40?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

I started a thread about Castor oil and arthritis. I am thinking that Castor oil has many beneficial properties. I am going to mix it up with something to make a skin cream for my legs when they get dry.
    As far as hair goes it is quite stiff and waxy feeling but if you cut it with some other oil or use some in a SMT it might be a wonder. Hot oil pack with Castor for example.

Lady Dawn Nova Painter of Souls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

I love castor oil! I never use it straight tho, I usually add it to other carrier oils and also use it in my deep conditioning treatments. My hair always feels so soft and silky with this oil.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thank you DolphinPrincess. Thanks Delilah do you use it on your scalp? Also do you Rinse it out? Thanks Moringstar I also have arthritis. I should try it out as a hot oil treatment. Thanks Lovingmyhair have your ever tried it as a leave-in? Catladyintown

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Yes, I use it on my scalp. My hair is very fine and fluffy, so if I add anything more than a couple drops to my ends my hair is very weighed down. I deep oil with various oils about twice a week overnight before wash days.

I have heard that castor oil has protein in it? Would it be used to help replace protein in the hair, as well?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I just did some research on castor oil and learned that it is best for lubricating purposes as it is not easily absorbed by skin or hair, also great as a purgative (induces vomiting). The bean is rich in protein but unfortunately poisonous. Very little protein is left in the extracted oil, else it would be poisonous also.

thanks Spidermom, I also did a tiny search after seeing this post, just visited wikipedia it's all I had time for, but I didn't see anything to suggest it would be any different then continuing to use EVOO and coconut oil ... so I will stick with what I know my hair likes. take care...