Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The red is gone!

Length
    Pixie/APL!/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default The red is gone!

Ack! I just did a CO wash (I've been experimenting with them for about a week or so) and my hair came out brighter blonde! All my natural red highlights look like they're gone! Does anyone know what could have caused this? The only things I've read about that lighten blonde color are catnip and honey.

Here is what I did:

1) Used Trader Joe's Refresh on my scalp and Nourish Spa on my length (I don't use gobs of it like I know some do with Suave or V05).
    2) I put a bit of white sugar on my scalp and scrubbed it in--I read in the CO thread that that helped some members get rid of sebum buildup.
    3) I left it all in for about 10 minutes.
    4) I showered and wet the conditioner, massaging my scalp, then leaving it for another 5-10 minutes while I finished showering.
    5) I massaged my scalp again and rinsed thoroughly.
    6) I poured an extremely diluted mix of ACV/water as a finishing rinse.
    7) I rinsed this all and let my hair air dry.

Now it looks like I have highlights and lowlights of light blonde and ashy blonde, when I actually have more like a golden strawberry blonde.

Is there something really obvious I did without realizing it? I've noticed in the past that shampoos can downplay my red tones, but I've never seen anything like this before!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Long Haired Bible Thumper Debra83's Avatar
    Length
    ear/bsl/HIP
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

Default Re: The red is gone!

Maybe the "natural" red tones were buildup from hard water? Maybe you cleansed so well that it got rid of it?

Just a thought!
    Debra LHBT
    December 25, 2013 - length check -12t/1 cut
    Lady Aedos of the Pureheart Grace in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/APL!/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

If it WAS buildup, I'm going to cry. I've had reddish tones since I was a teenager and I just love them.

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Debra83 View Post
    Maybe the "natural" red tones were buildup from hard water? Maybe you cleansed so well that it got rid of it?

Just a thought!
    This is what I wondered too. I have a friend who's hair was pink because of minerals and she used something that clarified and it came out. Someone else might know more though.
    What kind of water do you have that might be a factor.

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

If you want them back a henna glaze could give them to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLonghair View Post
    This is what I wondered too. I have a friend who's hair was pink because of minerals and she used something that clarified and it came out. Someone else might know more though.
    What kind of water do you have that might be a factor.
    Oooohh, no wonder when I didn't have a shower filter, I noticed my shower head was getting pink build up where the water comes out. Thanks, now I know wtf that was!

Length
    Pixie/APL!/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Okay, forgive me, because I'm in full freak-out denial mode. Could it really be buildup?

We did have hard water where I grew up, but the red didn't show up until I was into puberty, which is also when my hair went from, like, i to iii all of a sudden. And they've stayed as I've moved from place to place, with varying degrees of obviousness, and the water at my college was WAY softer than what I grew up with. Currently, I think my water isn't great, but I don't think it's HARD water. Also...my brother has the same tones, though his hair is darker, and I don't think he has hard water where he lives either...

And...really, my hair has never been pinkish...it's more like coppery. And is there really buildup that could make ash blonde look more golden?

Again, forgive me, because I'm in the throes of total denial.

Henna is...like...a huge deal, right? I don't think I could do something so permanent when it could turn out so badly...

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LiraelQ View Post
    Okay, forgive me, because I'm in full freak-out denial mode. Could it really be buildup?

We did have hard water where I grew up, but the red didn't show up until I was into puberty, which is also when my hair went from, like, i to iii all of a sudden. And they've stayed as I've moved from place to place, with varying degrees of obviousness, and the water at my college was WAY softer than what I grew up with. Currently, I think my water isn't great, but I don't think it's HARD water. Also...my brother has the same tones, though his hair is darker, and I don't think he has hard water where he lives either...

And...really, my hair has never been pinkish...it's more like coppery. And is there really buildup that could make ash blonde look more golden?

Again, forgive me, because I'm in the throes of total denial.

Henna is...like...a huge deal, right? I don't think I could do something so permanent when it could turn out so badly...
    Not all henna is a big deal and even tea rinses might give your hair the color that you want.

Something that occurred to me is how much chlorine you have in the water it could be "bleaching" your hair out. If it started being reddish as a teen your hair is most likely reddish blonde mine was then and just darkened as I aged. I wouldn't freek out yet. Maybe go back to your old routine and try filtered water and see what happens.

Length
    Pixie/APL!/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Sigh. That's good advice. Maybe I'll look into shower filters this weekend...

I just went back in and washed my hair again with my old SLES shampoo (maybe stupid, but I wanted to clarify anything I did to it) and it feels gross after just a few days of COing, but I think I can go to sleep now without being too freaked out. I looked in the light of my bathroom, and I can still see reds on the hairs when they're wet. So at least some of them are still there...

Is there a way that, if my water is chlorinated, it could have reacted badly with the vinegar? Could that cause a permanent color change in my hair? Or is that not even possible at the levels we're talking about?

Sorry if these questions are too newbie-ish...there's so much I don't really know! I guess this teaches me not to experiment too freely, though...

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

if you want to add a little red, do a deep treatment with maybe a teaspoon of dye released henna. Not more, then later you can carefully add more if you want to. In case CO should do something weird to your haircolour again