Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO washing tip

Length
    15"/14"/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default CO washing tip

This is something I just started doing in an effort to make my CO washes more cleansing, and it really made a big difference for me...most people probably already know about it, so please forgive my ignorance.

Here's what I do: I wet my hair down, slop on a ton of conditioner and massage it into my scalp and hair. After letting it sit for a while, I massage my scalp a second time to loosen up all the gunk (this is the step that made the difference) and then rinse, rinse, and rinse again!

So yeah, that additional scalp massage really helps to make it more effective.

Hope this helps!

Erin

Length
    22/37/34 +
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: CO washing tip

You're right, one of the mistakes I made at first was not massaging enough.

The hair is the richest ornament of women.~Martin Luther Avatar photo Oct 2008, Signature Sept. 2011

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I agree. I also find that helped cut down on scalp irritation and any leftover conditioner that wanted to cling on.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Cindi Eponabri

Thank you. I haven't tried this yet, but now I know the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rose_in_bloom View Post
    This is something I just started doing in an effort to make my CO washes more cleansing, and it really made a big difference for me...most people probably already know about it, so please forgive my ignorance.

Here's what I do: I wet my hair down, slop on a ton of conditioner and massage it into my scalp and hair. After letting it sit for a while, I massage my scalp a second time to loosen up all the gunk (this is the step that made the difference) and then rinse, rinse, and rinse again!

So yeah, that additional scalp massage really helps to make it more effective.

Hope this helps!

Erin

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Umm..excuse me but i have heard that conditioner should not be applied on scalp and just to clarify i have heard this from professionals .

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge"
    Ivana Trump

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I usually add water before I do the second massage. But yeah, I agree, this is the critical step that makes CO-washing really work!

I dunno, Aditi, I have been CO-washing for almost a year now, and my hair is thriving. It's the best thing I've ever done, my hair is clean and shiny, and it just loves CO-washing. I use a cheap cone-free conditioner, which works; maybe if you used a heavy cone-laden conditioner it wouldn't be as good for your scalp?

I am wary of what professionals say you should do - giving up shampoo was the BEST thing I ever did, but some professionals woudl say that isn't the 'right' thing to do. But by making this change, I have the best hair I have ever had in forty years

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Honey39 View Post
    I usually add water before I do the second massage. But yeah, I agree, this is the critical step that makes CO-washing really work!

I dunno, Aditi, I have been CO-washing for almost a year now, and my hair is thriving. It's the best thing I've ever done, my hair is clean and shiny, and it just loves CO-washing. I use a cheap cone-free conditioner, which works; maybe if you used a heavy cone-laden conditioner it wouldn't be as good for your scalp?

I am wary of what professionals say you should do - giving up shampoo was the BEST thing I ever did, but some professionals woudl say that isn't the 'right' thing to do. But by making this change, I have the best hair I have ever had in forty years
    How can i find out whether my conditioner is heavy on cone?

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge"
    Ivana Trump

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

How can i find out whether my conditioner is heavy on cone?
    First you have to recognize the cones, most of them(all of them?) end with "cone", like dimeticone, amodimeticone etc.
    Then you can look on how high they are on the inci-list, if it begins with a cone, thereīs a lot of it.

I think itīs easiest not to use any cones at all with co. Then I donīt have to bother with clearfying.

Whether itīs good for the scalp, I donīt know. For me, it means less flakiness and thatīs good!

Length
    pixie/TB/knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Very interesting, I'm going to try this tip on my wash day. Thanks for posting your tip!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Aditi View Post
    Umm..excuse me but i have heard that conditioner should not be applied on scalp and just to clarify i have heard this from professionals .
    Its true for some people if they get conditioner on the scalp hair will fall in large amounts but some people need it as it makes it safer then using harsh shampoos. It really depends on the persons' scalp and if there sensitive to conditioners