Thread: what am I doing wrong?: french twist

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default what am I doing wrong?: french twist

I used to be able to get a FT to hold with a fork/comb, but it won't do it now. Is it just that it's too long (approx 31")?

I can get it in place holding tight and it seems secure, but soon as I subject it to the "3 headshakes test" it falls out.

If it's too long, that would suck. I've just started bunning this year, and would like more options (all my bun varieties look alike). My hair isn't long enough for the log roll.
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Re: what am I doing wrong?: french twist

Well, I've never been able to do a French twist. By the time my hair is long enough to make a pocket that can hold it all, the total volume is too great for the style to be stable.

From what I've observed from others comments, it is a style people grow out of fairly easily, and one that is more sensative to variations in hair thickness than some others.

Have you tried fastening it with two combs, rather than one, or the combination of a comb through the side and a fork or hairsticks vertically? It may just be that the volume of hair being held requires more secure anchoring. At least, that's my wild guess, as someone who's never done a French twist, but has had to deal with having hair outgrow hairtoys and styles.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

A nice french twist lasted about a year for me. Now I look like some egg shaped head , or if I get it flat at the bottom I have a big bubble of hair at the top. Glad to know it's not just me - I'm way to short for a log roll and just about long enough for what I call the bunny ears bun
    I can get a fairly decent twist if I really try with a french twist comb - one of those curved combs with the really long teeth. Insert the comb like you would a stick to hold more secure. My hair also has to be a day past wash day...

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I was going to suggest a french twist comb as well. Or a Ficcare. You may just need to alter your securement method for now

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

All of the older french twist styles use a very long comb or several combs. I use ones with long curved tines and that works well for me even at long lengths. But these are about 4 inches wide and 5 inches long so not your average combs.

On the edge of my forest!

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Here is a pic,

my hair even when it was several inches longer stayed up, it just needed the right tool to stay. You aren't doing it wrong, just maybe outgrown the tools you have.

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!! I'm sure I have french twist comb around here somewhere. The one I was experimenting with it long, but not *that* long.

SimplyLongHair!! What gorgeous hair and that toy looks beautiful in it!
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    20in/32in/52in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Thank You I love the color of the comb against my hair! I have hair that eats toys if I am not careful so I tend to have larger toys, as when the waves grow with the humidity around here I can still put it up! LOL That is why I really understand the problem. My hair can grow even without getting longer.