Thread: What are your favorite natural woods for hair toys?

Length
    23/30/35
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Question What are your favorite natural woods for hair toys?

What are your favorite (natural) woods for hair toys?

And also curious to know what color hair you have.

Pics welcome of course!
    Karisa

Length
    TBL/FTL+/TRMNL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: What are your favorite natural woods for hair toys?

As of right now, the only hair-toy I have that is made of wood is ash. And I love it, so I guess it's my favorite. The rest are plastic, and one is glass. (I'd hate to have that stick in if I got into a car wreck...)

And my hair is a dark brown indoors, with reddish natural tint in the sunlight. I think I still have a pic in my sig. I haven't updated it in awhile. LOL.
    Current Length: 47" (Fingertip length), 2b/2c, ii, F/M
    Longest ever achieved: 55.5" (Upper Calf Length)

Lady Deipneus of the Gifted Hands in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    buzz/38/dunno
    Type
    3a/F/ii

I like figured wood, and I like wood with non-straight grain and a lot of color variation. I seem to have collected a lot of tiger maple and applewood. And figured applewood is so cool, cause it's stripey like tiger maple but a different color -- I like that it can have a pinkish cast -- goes well with my hair and complexion. I especially like wearing wood that came from a tree that produced apples or maple syrup that people ate, or that really shaded someone's home. That's why my figured applewood stick is so very dear to me -- I know how old the tree was and where it grew. I plan to whittle a stick of my own from local wood when my work deadlines slow down a little.

I also like to shop local and I do the locavore thing as much as I can, so all but one of my wood hairtoys are domestic woods, and my comb is, too. Sometimes Macassar Ebony is really tempting, though. That's why I'm thinking about some persimmon wood -- it has a black ebony heart, but a small one.

I think most people pick their hairtoys on the basis of the prettiness of the wood, and that's a factor for me, but my idea of what's beautiful is not always about appearances . . . especially when the hairtoy's always on the back of my head and it's a mental image for me more often than something I see in the mirror.

Oh, forgot . . . I have brown hair!

And I actually have a picture of my figured applewod stick in action.
    Last edited by Kimberly; February 11th, 2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: haircolor

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    short/15"/23"
    Type
    2c/F/iii

I have nearly black hair that I color that way.

I like Kingwood, Pink Ivory, Tulipwood, Purpleheart, Bloodwood....the list is really endless. I like them all for different reasons.

eta my siggie is my purpleheart 3 prong flair from baerreis.
    Last edited by rymorg2; February 11th, 2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: additional thought

Length
    ear/TBL+!/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

My favourite so far is olive wood -- a nice warm golden-brown with lovely darker grain. My hair is medium-darkish brown (much darker than the wood -- about the same colour as the dark grain pattern). I'm having trouble taking a colour-accurate picture of it -- even without flash it looks brighter/paler than it is in real life. Nice idea for a thread! I will read with interest.:drama:
    Lady Xi of the Maple Tree in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!
    Avatar picture from Brunnhilde with her horse at the mouth of the cave by Arthur Rackham

Length
    Buzz/TB/Class
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I love cardinal and rosewood. My red hair seems to look good with sticks and forks that are a rich, warm brown, darker than my hair color. Most of the stuff I have is cherry or walnut because those are a bit more readily available around here.

Length
    ?/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

So far my favorites are gabon ebony and birds eye maple. My hair is a medium brown with silver streaks.

~Proud member of the Renegray Gang~

Supplier of Green Eggs Sam-I-Am's Avatar
    Length
    21"/I sat/onit!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

My favorite wood is tulipwood, which is pink and white. My hair is naturally red. I didn't think a pink wood would look good in my hair, but I'm sure glad I was wrong!

(Made that one myself)

(Bought at a Renaissance faire)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/othergirl4christ/Hair/2007-10curlysmall.jpg

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hands-down favorite for me is Lignum Vitae.

It's a naturally green wood that's very dense and heavy. It's lighter colored when it's first cut, but then deepens to a darker green with black and copper grain as it ages.

I think my favorite thing about it is that it's a natural more mossy green, where many of the green dymondwoods are very Crayola-crayon green and lack the variations of browns and coppers and blacks in the grain.

Here are a few of my toys made from LV:

Etta Mae custom lotus fork, gabon ebony inlaid with Lignum Vitae.

Third fork from the right is Lignum Vitae, it's far more green than this in person.

and a closeup (on the right), way more yellow here than IRL, but shows the beautiful grain pattern. About midway down the prongs is close to color.

Crystal Mood Lignum VItae Sticks. Putting them in sunlight accelerates the darkening. I set these two in a window, and you can see the difference between the darker side that was in the sunlight, and the lighter side that as face-down in the sun.

Other LV sticks I've gotten from Crystal Mood (more color accurate here)

(the full length stck on the bottom is what most LV looks like color wise)

Length
    40+/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I like purpleheart and cardinal wood (darkened), and while I do not have one I think I would love snakewood. As I'm very very much a snake, and because it's just so darn pretty!
    Lady Angellen, Bound Raven in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I am the Vampire Queen