Length
    27/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default I'm not convinced, thoughts?

HAIR FACTS
    How often should I shampoo?

Hair cannot be washed too often!
    Our ancestors washed their hair only rarely. We know that hair left unwashed for several weeks
    turns into a matted, smelly mess. We can only imagine the state of the scalps beneath those elaborate powdered wigs we see in portraits on the walls of stately homes!
    This doesn't fit with our modern image of cleanliness and health. Hair can be washed every day, even several times a day if necessary. Today's shampoos do not damage hair. Their conditioning agents positively protect the cuticle against harm from brushing and combing.
    So how often you wash your hair is a purely personal decision, one for you alone.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_118.htm

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Default Re: I'm not convinced, thoughts?

No, hair unwahsed for several weeks doesn't necessarily turn into matted smelly mess. I haven't washed for two months once and it didn't.
    I believe it's a personal choice and I'm lazy these days so let it sit dirty yeeeah!

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Yeah, I suppose if you didn't wash your hair, scritch or rub your scalp, shake your ends around in the wind and let your hair dred in the worst way possible this might be true - but the simple act of not putting a soap or detergent to your hair? I call BS on this, too. Some of the best heads of hair I have seen are washed with more than just water less than once a year, and washed with water less than once a week. That doesn't mean it isn't combed or the scalp isn't cared for.

It's this sort of ignorant hair propaganda that has people like my mother thinking I am 'dirty' for not dousing myself in clarifying shampoo every day
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    5"/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Hair constantly living under wigs probably did get rank and turn into a "matted, smelly mess" but washing the daylights out of it is not necessarily the answer to that problem. Regular grooming combined with protective styles allow one to shampoo on a relatively irregular basis (or for some, not at all) and have excellent, beautiful tresses. This article, as so many are, is full of misunderstandings and false assumptions.
    <a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/homekeepinggran/ChineseBun.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ChineseBun.jpg</a> But if a woman have long hair it is a glory to her. ~ I Cor. 11:15

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I actually heard washing hair too much actually attracts lice. I'm a once-a-weeker, and my hair isnt dirty. I find sebum is the best natural oil.

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Our ancestors probably didn't brush their hair, and thats why it turned into a matted mess. I have gone months without washing my hair, with no ill effects. P&G is just trying to sell more of their shampoo.
    Every day is Thursday.

Miss Blue Head. :) BlackfootHair's Avatar
    In front of the mirror looking for whites.
    Length
    23/Apl/35
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

hmm....I personally like to wash my hair every day or every other day. It's a phycological thing for me. If I don't wash my hair I feel gross. As far as washing it several times a day? I suppose if you exercise or live in an area that makes you sweat a lot you could wash more than once without damage. Personally I don't wash more than once a day...unless it's disgustingly hot and humid out.
    Rest in peace, little kitty.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Not washing hair does not turn it into a matted mess. Not detangling hair does.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Account Closed by Member Request

I must disagree on those points made in red.

For me, I was drying my hair out with endless washing. I used to wash my hair at least once a day with shampoo, sometimes twice.

Since I have cut down to washing once every four days and CO every other day, my hair has been healthier and mositurized.

I do have some splits on my top layer, but that is from not trimming the top layer in 18 months. ( I did a one year trim in August, but only on my bottom layer)

My hair is living proof that contradicts the statement bolded in red

Now, that said, everyone can do as they please with their own hair. If you feel that washing is for YOU, so be it, no one here is going to stop you.

But the majority can't be incorrect. It's all about personal choices and respecting others decisions, even if they differ from our own habits and routines.

I personally couldn't go back to daily washing, it dries my scalp out badly, I had to change back to a gentler shampoo because the normal shampoo was causing dryness issues on my scalp. Even at twice a week my head was dry, sore, flaky and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by baobhan sith View Post
    HAIR FACTS
    How often should I shampoo?

Hair cannot be washed too often!
    Our ancestors washed their hair only rarely. We know that hair left unwashed for several weeks
    turns into a matted, smelly mess. We can only imagine the state of the scalps beneath those elaborate powdered wigs we see in portraits on the walls of stately homes!
    This doesn't fit with our modern image of cleanliness and health. Hair can be washed every day, even several times a day if necessary. Today's shampoos do not damage hair. Their conditioning agents positively protect the cuticle against harm from brushing and combing.
    So how often you wash your hair is a purely personal decision, one for you alone.

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_118.htm

Type
    2a/F/i

Whether an unwashed hair will get turned into a matted mess or not I've no idea , but I just wanted to point out that our ancestors never had to face the smokes of factories or cars , nor was sun this harmful. The environment was as pure as it could be , so I think they could get away with it . But where we are , I think we need to get rid of dirt , and those who exercise , maybe they would want to get rid of sweaty smell ( I would always CO when I exercised ).