Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Profile Privacy -- and what else is private, and what's not

Length
    18+/39/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Profile Privacy -- and what else is private, and what's not

When I logged in, my profile settings were changed, so that my birthdate/age was no longer hidden. This might be something others should be aware of, and reset if desired.

Also, would it be helpful in all this early confusion to have a sticky about what threads and forums are private and which aren't, and list any other resets members might wish to check for?

I'm holding off posting much until that becomes clear.

Thanks for all the work on this!
    Last edited by darkwaves; March 8th, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

I'd love to see that information, too. I'm not posting anything private until everything settles down.
    Also, I think copying over the sticky that used to be at "New Start Here!" would go a long way.
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaves View Post
    When I logged in, my profile settings were changed, so that my birthdate/age was no longer hidden. This might be something others should be aware of, and reset if desired.
    Eek! Thanks for the warning, DW!
    I don't like having my d.o.b. public. Funny thing - I went to the "edit my profile" page to add the hair type info but totally missed the privacy settings for that!

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I'm still trying to sort that out, as well.

Particularly in regards to blogs. I miss my journal, and it was private. A blog might be a decent substitute, but I don't particularly want the whole world to see it.

(I'm not thrilled with the idea of substituting blogs for journals. One of the nice things around here was that most discussion was not based on individual journals, but on topical threads. A collection of individual blogs with comments, even on the same general subject, doesn't make a community in the same way a forum does, and I worry about discussion becoming more blog- and individual- focused, rather than topic oriented. Personally, if I want to discuss something, I've always found a good thread on the topic, and my journal was mostly personal ramblings that were for amusement, but that I didn't feel a need for further discussion on.)
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Length
    18+/39/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I feel the same way about the public blog settings -- I'm wary about posting, but I don't want to restrict my blog to just to pre-selected friends because a group of individual, restricted blogs would create huge limitations for the community as well.

Maybe in a few days this will all get sorted out.

A change is always tough. Hang in there and give it some time. If you are the least bit nervous about posting something personal, wait for a while 'til the dust settles.

One can set one's blog so that only friends can see it; if it is set so that "everyone" can see it, that does include unregistered guests (just as it was with the old public journals). One can also set it so that others cannot comment on blog entries, which makes it like the journals were before; also, if the general setting is that others can comment, the option remains with each individual post to turn off the comment option.

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

I have some concerns as well. Maybe if we create a private blog option too like in the old boards so that people with an amount of post and membership can have access. I do not really want to block the blog to the community but I don't want everyone to see as well. And I cannot make all the old members my friend to view the blog right?

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by zift View Post
    And I cannot make all the old members my friend to view the blog right?
    That's what I'm doing--adding all several thousand old members as my friends. It will take me a while. Seriously, though, anyone who likes to read your journal will probably friend you once they realize they don't have access. They won't just sit around feeling sorry for themselves.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

That's my main concern. Won't this alienate the new LHCers...as they become a part of the community everyone will already have their blogs set on private and these people won't get a chance to join in. Also there are lots of journals I don't subscribe to, but might read on occassion or just browse to see if they're interesting, and if everyone has theirs set to private the chances to me going through the trouble to read is unlikely. I think it restricts the journal readership big time!