Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cold water vs hot: does it matter for shedding?

Default cold water vs hot: does it matter for shedding?

Have you guys seen a difference in the amount of hair you shed in a wash based on whether you wash with hot or cold water?

I love a hot bath but I think it's not the best for my hair.
    No matter how much I try to be plain, people don't accept me, so I might as well be fabulous.
    -Austin Scarlett.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: cold water vs hot: does it matter for shedding?

I personally haven't. One way or another, about the same amount of hair gets shed from my head at the end of the day, so to speak.

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I am not sure if it plays into whether I shed or not, I guess, partly because I always rinse all of me in very cool/cold water; so, I have no comparison with hot water (I've been doing this for years). I do know colder water seems to make my hair shinier for whatever reason, but it gets rinsed mostly as an anti-aging procedure along with the rest of me.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I haven't noticed a difference one way or the other with shedding. The only difference I see is my hair is shinier with cold water, and seems to have more body with warmer.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    3/16/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I haven't noticed anything. I do try to do cold rinses and to not have my water too hot because I don't want it "frying" my hair. But I think I shed pretty much the same either way.

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I always use warm/hot water and when I've used cool rinses I haven't noticed any differences.

Quote Originally Posted by shwankie View Post
    I am not sure if it plays into whether I shed or not, I guess, partly because I always rinse all of me in very cool/cold water; so, I have no comparison with hot water (I've been doing this for years). I do know colder water seems to make my hair shinier for whatever reason, but it gets rinsed mostly as an anti-aging procedure along with the rest of me.
    Can you explain how cool water is anti aging?

Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I use lukewarm water i tried cold water and it turned my hair frizzy messy mess ill never do that again,even the last rinse with cool water makes my hair rebel. As for shedding is concerned it makes no difference to my hairs.

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

EvaSimone,

Rinsing with cold water (my water rinse is usually *very* cold, but I'll do just cool sometimes if it's really cold in the apartment) encourages circulation, and basically anything that does that helps with anti-aging for skin, and also helps minimize cellulite. I am fortunate to not have cellulite, and I firmly believe this is one of the things that's helped with that. It's a similar concept to supplements like ginko biloba, dandelion, and a gotu kola, which are sued in anti-cellulite and anti-aging products because they increase circulation. Circulation helps wash away dead skin cells, discourages fat and cellulite cells, and bring nutrients.

It's not a miracle cure, just one of my steps (I am 36, and get guessed 25-26 pretty much always). It also immediately tightens skin, which makes it look younger and helps everything be very, er...self-supporting, for me.

Default Go

Quote Originally Posted by EvaSimone View Post
    I always use warm/hot water and when I've used cool rinses I haven't noticed any differences.

Can you explain how cool water is anti aging?
    Less likely to dry out skin or draw the oil out.
    ________
    Yamaha Sa2200
    Last edited by Speckla; February 20th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Cold water makes hair shinier because it closes the cuticle down. For time to time I come across a recommendation to finish off every shower with cold water rinse. I personally share Aisha's experience, it felt to me like my hair didn't do well with the sudden temperature change, but it could be just in my mind though.
    Really hot water is not recommended for hair.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!