Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those who enjoy their hair down...

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default For those who enjoy their hair down...

...what do you do to protect it and keep it moisturized?

I bike daily, so I usually either tuck it up into my hat/hood or clip it up for the bike ride. This seems to protect at least SOME of the length from the wind...my hair is so fuzzy with so many different layers that pieces always come out, no matter how I wear it.

When I am wearing my hair down a lot, I try to mist it at least once a day (mornings and evenings, when I'm working all day) and lightly oil the ends/nape whenever it gets damp in the shower.

I'm noticing that it is increasingly hard to keep my hair out of zippers, so I usually put a sweater or vest on first, then a scarf over that that keeps my hair up and back, then my coat or jacket. This seems to work pretty well, for me just as well as an updo would.

My hair is literally so messy that if the length is mostly contained, bits and pieces fly around most of the time. This goes for updos as well. I am working on finding ways of containing those parts so they are not out in the wind, but would love other suggestions!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: For those who enjoy their hair down...

Wear a silk headscarf when you bike and take it off when you arrive, especially over updos. They are warmer, hair friendly, and can look quite fetching.

Really, that's the only way - short of products - I can think of to truly contain messy bits and flyaways.
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    bsl/waist/T/B
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post

I bike daily, so I usually either tuck it up into my hat/hood or clip it up for the bike ride. This seems to protect at least SOME of the length from the wind...my hair is so fuzzy with so many different layers that pieces always come out, no matter how I wear it.
    Katze, have you tried these

I've only just discovered them, but they would have saved me a lot of time over the years.

ETA and if you want to wear it down and keep the stray bits tidy, I swear by stylees
    Last edited by Comfrey; December 19th, 2008 at 03:44 AM.
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Dear Katze, I think I remember that you own a buff? Doesn't it help?

I hardly ever leave my hair open but when I do, I keep it over my left shoulder and smoothe it from time to time to avoid tangles...

On the bike, I always contain it. Sorry I'm not more helpful.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Comfrey View Post
    Katze, have you tried these

I've only just discovered them, but they would have saved me a lot of time over the years.

ETA and if you want to wear it down and keep the stray bits tidy, I swear by stylees
    Comfrey, the hairgloves are neat...but my hair is too thin at the ends for something like this to stay on. Too bad... Also, the biggest amount of layers start right where that thing does, so they would fall out anyway (same problem with braids).

The stylee is, what, a big claw clip? It is hard to tell what it is from the pictures...

Melisande, the Buff falls off my head no matter what I do, and it also scrunches and squooshes my hair flat. I do occasionally use it as a headcovering when I have oiled hair or am doing an SMT, but it is awkward and also very unattractive - makes me look like a Russian grandmother. Using it as a scrunchie runs into the problem of my thin ends again, as well as everything falling out. A Ficcare works much better.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    bsl/waist/T/B
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    The stylee is, what, a big claw clip? It is hard to tell what it is from the pictures...
    The stylee is a bit like those african butterfly clips people talk about only they are WAY more versatile.

You slide the comb in one side of your hair and hold the rest of your hair (or thread it through the scrunchie bits) and then stretch it and slide the comb in the other side of the hair.

Its really versatile and quick. I use them every day. You can have high pony tails. Buns, or hair down.

If you scroll down it shows you how to use it on the site. Dont click on the pictures, theres links below them
    I have learnt to keep an open mind, but not to be so open minded my brains fall out.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Dear Katze, thank you for releasing me of the wish to buy a Buff! I'm walking in circles around them for quite some time. If it falls from your hair, it will fall from mine, too.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I tuck my hair into my scarf and coat - it's not ideal, but it protects my hair *somewhat*. I don't mind though - for me, I want to wear my hair down almost every day, so I think that I pay the price of having it a bit windswept ( a LOT windswept at the moment, lol). Is it a hazard on your bike though?

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thanks Comfrey, I will take another look.

I was meaning this thread to be a POSITIVE thread for those of us who enjoy wearing our hair down! Do you do extra moisturizing, etc., how do you keep it out of the wind, etc. While my hair is, indeed "special" (there is just not a lot I can do with it) I wanted to emphasize things that DO work for keeping hair protected even if it's not "up."

Misting, tucking hair up, and clipping it up LOOSELY while I am travelling work well for me.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Honey39 View Post
    Is it a hazard on your bike though?
    I do have to make sure it's out of my eyes, now that my bangs are longer and the hair around my face so much thicker. These days, a hooded sweatshirt works best for this.