Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've never actually SEEN one break before!

Default I've never actually SEEN one break before!

: I was S&Ding and finding a whole ton of splits. BAD ones, like tree branches!!!! I see one that also had a knot about half an inch up. I picked it up by the end to snip just above the knot and the hair BROKE OFF!!! I've heard of this happening but I'd never actually SEEN it happen!! I have been finding so many splits the past couple of days . I'm almost tempted to just cut it all off chin length to get rid of all the stupid layers and damaged ends and start with fresh hair, but of course then I look at the length and say FORGET THAT!!!! I'm going to start doing catnip rinses again. Yikes

Length
    20/48.5/44
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: I've never actually SEEN one break before!

I've had ones that have the little white dot & it'll break off there if I pull gently. I don't do that anymore since discovering all y'all but still have massive amounts of splits. I thought I was getting a handle on it with the S&D-ing but then pulled some from the back of my head and yikes! It was bad. It's crossed my mind several times to cut off 6 inches or so but that makes me shudder. I'll just start dusting once it's more fully waist length.

PM me if you ever get desperate to cut & I'll scream "NOOOOOO" for you.
    This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then explode. ~ Captain Mal 'Tightpants' Reynolds

The middle of My Forest, where fairies dwell.
    Length
    17in/tb/50in
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Hang in there! It will get better. I just cut 10 inches to get rid of whispy ends and splits Having to cut is yucky. But nice ends makes it worth it.
    ............ ....... ....................

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Go

Be patient, baby your hair and it'll grow out and be healthier and stronger! I pwomise!
    ________
    How to roll joints
    Last edited by Speckla; February 20th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Yeah those little breaking off can be scary I'm sitting here doing an massive S & D session on my braid tassel Keep on with snipping the splits. Later on you may want to trim a small bit off the hemline to keep it even and full but usually there is no need to go from BSL to chin length. Be sure to keep those ends moisturized and protected.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Noooo don't cut! I find loads of splits, branches? heck I have a whole forrest but I just do a good couple of hours S&Ding and then I put a deep conditioner on and im happy. Long hair and splits are like peas and carrots (as a certain Forrest Gump would say!!) theygo together! Just do lots of deep conditionings and try putting a little oil on your ends to protect!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    bob/cbone/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I know I am new to long hair and everything, but now might be a good time to put oil on it and put it up and out of sight for a couple of weeks. It might take the edge off the temptation to cut.

Length
    40+/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Oh, I know what you mean. Largely I think my hair looks great, then I find these massive multi-splits and such. It can be scary and shocking at first, I know what you mean. I hope you weren't too traumatized, those splits can show up even on the nicest hair.
    Lady Angellen, Bound Raven in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I am the Vampire Queen

I oil the ends every day and deep moisture too. Oh and don't worry, I'd sooner cut off my arm than my hair! I trimmed about 1/2 and inch last month from the LAST split causing experiment and I vows that was IT, no more trimming, just S&D. It's just annoying! I can go DAYS without seeing the tiniest split, then I try something new and I am rewarded by raindeer antlers at the end of every hair!!!! I think I'll buy myself a nice new pair of S&D scissors

Type
    1a/F/ii

I have HORRIBLE breakage around the ponytail holder area (I am really trying not to wear ponytails anymore!) so I know how frustrated you are. I am not familiar with S&D, though. I know it stands for search & destroy (split ends in this case), but I don't see how that will help them. All it will do is make it take longer for them to grow out, won't it? I am not ready to cut or trim my hair, as it is not even at APL yet. I am trying to baby it more, and I am going to start doing the catnip rinses. I just bought a 2lb. container @ Petsmart