Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long hair and helmets - looking for solutions

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Long hair and helmets - looking for solutions

I just bought a bike and I love riding it. But I don't love my helmet with long hair. Of course, I have to wear it, but I don't know what to do about the hair! I've tried a single braid down my back, but I get nape tangles. I've tried two braids (one behind each ear) but they catch on the zipper of my jacket.

I'm thinking about getting (or preferably making) a pony scrub, but I'm not sure how well it will work with a bike helmet.

Any feedback/solutions/suggestions/personal experiences would be much appreciated!

Length
    1 in/31 in/100 i
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Long hair and helmets - looking for solutions

Tie bandana over your head and put helmet on afterwards
    Bride your hair and fold it (in the case it is getting too long) and tie it… Preferably wear your hair under your jacket…

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

There are also helmet liners that are very soft you can use. I should bother with them but I don't. I make a single braid down my back and tuck it inside my shirt or jacket. Sometimes I double it up but it is not as comfortable. Maybe you could put a satin or velvet scrunchie at the top of the braid to help with tangles at the nape.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

rockkcor, that's what I've been doing, and it helps with keeping my hair smooth at the top, but it is the length that I have issues with.

curlsgirl, I hadn't thought about tucking my braid down my shirt, but I think it might get itchy...

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

kimberlily, I do a lot of biking and my solution has been to wear a buff under my helmet. I braid my hair, then pull the buff over like a scarf and put the helmet on over that. Since my braid sticks out the bottom of the buff, I put a scrunchie or hair elastic around the bottom of the buff to close it, keeping the whole braid tucked inside. The buff totally prevents tangles, as well as any friction of braid against back. Extra added bonus - it wicks moisture away so I don't have sweat dripping down my face.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

In the articles section, there's instructions for getting long hair under a wigh. Would the same method work for helmets?

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    22/29/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlily View Post
    curlsgirl, I hadn't thought about tucking my braid down my shirt, but I think it might get itchy...
    I've done that before, and it does get itchy. You might try wearing two shirts (you know, layers) and just tuck your braid under the top shirt so that it doesn't touch your skin.

Lady Temperance, Keeper of the Border between Night and Day in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kimberlily View Post
    rockkcor, that's what I've been doing, and it helps with keeping my hair smooth at the top, but it is the length that I have issues with.

Quote Originally Posted by twilight_faerie View Post
    I've done that before, and it does get itchy. You might try wearing two shirts (you know, layers) and just tuck your braid under the top shirt so that it doesn't touch your skin.
    Actually I usually do have a thinner shirt and a jacket depending on the weather so I tuck it between those. BUT rather than having it exposed to the elements in a pinch I do tuck it under my shirt. I haven't had much itching from it myself.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Happy to be Home CountessDeJager's Avatar
    Length
    most/all/all

I remember one of the first things I learned about our member Bikerbraid was that she put her two braids through the slits in the helmet when biking. I think. She's gonna hit me if I'm remembering that wrong though.
    Avatar photo is me in 2002 taken by my sweet mom who kindly has taken a lot of hair pictures for me. Of course, not as many as Bill D. has.

Length
    nape/waist/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Countess, that's a neat suggestion, but my helmet has lots of small vents. Unless I did a Medusa thing, but that would take too long