Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate castor oil?

Default Why do people hate castor oil?

My favorite conditioner's main ingredient is castor oil, so i bought some a few days ago and my hair seems to like it more than the conditioner! Other oils, like coconut and argan, just sit on top of my hair and weigh it down, but castor makes my hair shiny while still having volume. Why do most people on this site seem to hate it?

Default Re: Why do people hate castor oil?

I have some good experiences of this oil too, and it's also a part of my very good detangler spray

So my experiences of castor oil are good, also as a wrinkle oil. But it's a little pricey...

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I think the main reason people might hate castor oil is because it is so thick, sticky and hard to work with

Personally I love this stuff, I have it in my deep oiling blend. It's great! I blend it with other oils.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Lullaby of Obliteration
    Length
    Buzz/Buzz/Chin

Thick and sticky I like to mix it with something thinner like avocado oil. I always have to shampoo it out after

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I love it! Somewhere on this site I read to be careful with it on the length because it can be very drying, but I didn't understand that and awkward me didn't ask. I mainly use it on my eyebrows which were over plucked a long time ago and have since recovered.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Lady Marina...Dweller, Explorer, and Protector of the Mermaid World
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    BSL/CL/KL
    Type
    4b/4c/M/C/iii

I used it on my hair and it made my hair feel very sticky which made it very difficult to detangle. I tried using less and it just won't spread on its own. But I think I used to mix it in diy deep conditioner and mix it with thinner oils to use as a sealant. I've got to get back to that because I have a whole bottle to use up.
    TBL>CL>MTL>KL
    Onward, Downward, and Outward to Body Swallowing Lengths!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy-Fairy View Post
    I used it on my hair and it made my hair feel very sticky which made it very difficult to detangle. I tried using less and it just won't spread on its own. But I think I used to mix it in diy deep conditioner and mix it with thinner oils to use as a sealant. I've got to get back to that because I have a whole bottle to use up.
    So i only use a drop of oil on my whole head of hair as a conditioner replacement, and i use my boar bristle brush to distribute it through my hair when its slightly damp. I think the sticky texture of it is actually why it doesnt weigh my hair down like the other oils, but im not doing an oil treatment so maybe it works better in small amounts (assuming you can work with it and get it to spread)

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

Well maybe castor oil agrees with you, and that's fine because everyone's hair is different. In the same way, argan oil really agrees with my hair and I've been using it for years.
    My reason for hating castor oil is: I used to wear lip gloss. Most lip glosses were made with castor oil and they dried my lips out so much. So I'm unwilling to try using castor oil on my hair.
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    MBL :: WAIST :: abyss :: hip:: TBL :: class
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Quote Originally Posted by luxurioushair View Post
    Well maybe castor oil agrees with you, and that's fine because everyone's hair is different. In the same way, argan oil really agrees with my hair and I've been using it for years.
    My reason for hating castor oil is: I used to wear lip gloss. Most lip glosses were made with castor oil and they dried my lips out so much. So I'm unwilling to try using castor oil on my hair.
    Fair enough. Most people seem to like diluted ACV rinses and aloe and other acidic things like that, but no matter how diluted it is my hair starts breaking off when i use it. Maybe my hair is just weird
    However i love using coconut oil on my skin, just not on my hair, so sometimes things that are great on your skin dont work on your hair and vice versa
    Last edited by Hornet; October 16th, 2024 at 03:00 PM.

Length
    waist/TB/long

I use castor oil and nothing else every day to wash my face. My skin loves it, and I don't need moisturizer anymore. Win! Win!