Thread: Several questions. Dandruff, oiling, videos

Default Several questions. Dandruff, oiling, videos

Hello, all. I am still finding my way around this forum. Perhaps I am having more trouble as I have not yet reached 25 posts. I try doing searches, but I find myself sifting through results from fifteen years ago. You all have accumulated so much knowledge over a long time, and I’m trying my best to sort through it!

I have quite a few questions, and I'm not sure whether it makes sense to put them all in one post. Feel free to let me know if I should be going about any of this differently, or if you can point me in the right direction.

Summary of my hair: My hair is almost four feet long. I would classify my hair type as 2a/m–c/i (wavy, medium–course, normal. I’m writing it out to remind myself what it means )

My questions:

1. Dandruff. My scalp tends to get itchy. It has some red sores like pimples. (As a side note, I struggle with cystic acne on my face, especially my chin.) I wash my hair once a week, and it is rather oily by the time I wash it. I recently used head and shoulders 2 in 1, and I did notice some relief in the itch, but the shampoo was just not doing well with the rest of my hair. I believe the silicones may have been too heavy for me. Does anyone with my hair type have recommendations for controlling dandruff?

2. Oiling hair. In all my online research about long hair, everyone talks about oiling their hair before washing it. Is this really necessary? I feel as if my hair is oily enough by the time I wash it. I also want to have as minimal of a routine as possible.

3. Videos. Does anyone know of any good videos about maintaining long, wavy hair? Whenever I try to search for videos online like on YouTube, they're all about growing hair. My hair is long enough. I don't need to grow any more! I need to know how to take care of it.

Length
    Pixie/APL/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Re: Several questions. Dandruff, oiling, videos

Hi LadyDay! Welcome welcome.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about dandruff, but it happens to most people. I've used the shampoo Sulphur8 when I have had a bit of dandruff years ago. I guess I can't complain about it, I picked it because I heard Sulphur is good for your hair, bit I didn't notice any benefit aside from no dandruff after a week.

As for oiling hair, no it is not nessecary, especially if you feel your natural oil is sufficient for your hair. But so many long hairs swear by ROO (rinse out oil), because the right oil will protect and condition your hair without looking greasy. I never use coconut oil because I hate how heavy it is, but jojoba oil is a completely different story, because it's much lighter. I usually prefer just oiling the very ends of my hair when they're in a tussle from a braid, rather than my scalp. So there's lots of ways to oil or not oil.

Finally, I like Sarah Ingle's YouTube videos. She explains everything clearly and generally has good advice. I also love TorrinPaige's YouTube, where she shows off how to do a lot of different hairstyles.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Dandruff. My scalp tends to get itchy. It has some red sores like pimples. (As a side note, I struggle with cystic acne on my face, especially my chin.) I wash my hair once a week, and it is rather oily by the time I wash it. I recently used head and shoulders 2 in 1, and I did notice some relief in the itch, but the shampoo was just not doing well with the rest of my hair. I believe the silicones may have been too heavy for me. Does anyone with my hair type have recommendations for controlling dandruff?
    I don't have your hair type but I would suggest a different shampoo for dandruff such as Selsun Blue or a Head and Shoulders that isn't a 2 in 1. I agree that you should probably avoid silicones on your scalp. You may also want to wash more frequently. Some people with scalp issues need to wash more often to prevent sores.

Oiling hair. In all my online research about long hair, everyone talks about oiling their hair before washing it. Is this really necessary? I feel as if my hair is oily enough by the time I wash it. I also want to have as minimal of a routine as possible.
    Oiling is very individual. Some people with long hair find it beneficial to add oil to their ends after a shower, others heavily oil their whole head before a wash.

Videos. Does anyone know of any good videos about maintaining long, wavy hair? Whenever I try to search for videos online like on YouTube, they're all about growing hair. My hair is long enough. I don't need to grow any more! I need to know how to take care of it.
    I can't think of any videos about maintaining long hair off the top of my head. I usually watch hair videos for hairstyles only.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

For the dandruff and itchy scalp I second the dandruff shampoo and you also might want to consider adding some aloe vera gel and a few drops of tea tree oil for their soothing and healing properties.

I get what you're saying about the oiling. When I first started looking into long hair care I got the impression that oiling was something I was supposed to be doing and never had. I started doing it with pretty heavy masks that might have helped my lengths, but my scalp did NOT like it. I didn't get any sores or anything like that. It just made me shed a lot more hair than was normal for me. I keep the oil away from my scalp now (other than essential oils) and only use it on the length and in far smaller quantities.

I can't think of any videos about how to care for it either, but if you have specific questions this site is a wealth of information. The Articles section could probably get you started.
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Lady Marina...Dweller, Explorer, and Protector of the Mermaid World
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    BSL/BCL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I suggest more frequent washing, and doing scalp only washes with the rest of your hair braided away if you don't want to wet it all.

You could go answer some random polls in the poll subforum, that way you can get 25 posts quickly and unlock more functionality.

Here's a long hair care video
    https://youtu.be/RXikdBbK014?si=SlIMs0aj4cDnkZHk
    I'm fine
    Lady Sarana, Ranger of the Eastern Hills
    in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I use Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp 2 in 1 and it works fine for me. I don't use anything else. My hair is similar to yours, but medium thick, not coarse. I also only wash it once a week when I take a shower. I used to wash it twice a week, so perhaps I should go back to that, since it can look pretty greasy after about the third day. I don't use any oils or deep conditioning treatments, since it doesn't really need it.

No, it's not, since I've never oiled and my hair is just fine. I read that if you have dandruff, it can make it worse (since it can feed off of the oil), so nope, I'll stick with my anti-dandruff 2 in 1, thank you very much.

Nope, I don't use YouTube for that, just video game walkthroughs.
    Keeper of the Royal Order of Playful Kitties
    No trimming 2024: 11 July - 31 Dec
    APL - MBL - WL