Thread: Plastic-y feeling hair

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Plastic-y feeling hair

Quick history of my hair. Currently growing out a buzz, its about 2" long all over. Used a box dye one month ago, just a little lighter blond.
    2 weeks ago I used a temporary pink dye, supposed to wash out in 5-10 washes.
    After rinsing out the pink, I immediately noticed my hair felt coated. No big deal, most dyes contain conditioning ingredients.
    I went about my life, washing every 1-2 days with a sulfate shampoo but the coated feeling persisted. I started trying to remove the pink, using dandruff shampoo and vit c.

The pink is nearly gone but my hair still feels coated.
    I've used clarifying shampoo, my harsh prell, multiple rounds of vit c which works as a chelator. I'm at a loss, any ideas.on things to try to remove this coated feeling? My hair doesn't like conditioners and thats what it feels like, it gets limp/oily quickly.
    My next step is to try baking soda which I hate doing.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Plastic-y feeling hair

Have you tried a Chelating type of shampoo? I think that's the strongest clarifying shampoo that is out there. Maybe that's what your hair needs to get rid of the coating. Since you have fine hair as I can see as your type with having 2b/2c.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I haven't, unfortunately I can't find proper chelating shmpoo here. I really need to order a bottle

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Is it possible that the feeling will go once all the pink is gone? Someone else that uses deposit dye might be able to chime in here....

Im just thinking that the feeling started when you added the pink. Its still pink and it still feels the same. So maybe with time the feeling will wash away with the pink.

It seems that you might be keen to get rid of the plastic feeling ASAP though...
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Length
    20"/20"/48"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Apple cider vinegar may be a good option.
    Here we grow again!

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

@Kathie, I'm beginning to think the pink will never completely fade. Its really faded but hanging in. I do think its the issue and yes, I would like it gone asap but I may just have to deal with it.

@Aunt Rapunzel I can try acv, I have plenty and my hair generally likes it.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I wonder if your sebum has changed consistency for some reason…. Holiday diet?

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    @Kathie, I'm beginning to think the pink will never completely fade. Its really faded but hanging in. I do think its the issue and yes, I would like it gone asap but I may just have to deal with it.

@Aunt Rapunzel I can try acv, I have plenty and my hair generally likes it.
    I wonder if a deep conditioning treatment would help. You seem to have tried stripping type treatments. Maybe putting back into your hair might give you a different result. It might actually help to strip the colour out.

My reasoning is that deep conditioning treatments often penetrate hair, so it might help to push the colour out. Also, the pink dye might be more soluble in some sort of oil or conditioning treatment. On top of that, it sounds like your hair might need a conditioning treatment at this stage.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    I wonder if your sebum has changed consistency for some reason…. Holiday diet?
    Sebum seems the same, thin and wet

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
    I wonder if a deep conditioning treatment would help. You seem to have tried stripping type treatments. Maybe putting back into your hair might give you a different result. It might actually help to strip the colour out.

My reasoning is that deep conditioning treatments often penetrate hair, so it might help to push the colour out. Also, the pink dye might be more soluble in some sort of oil or conditioning treatment. On top of that, it sounds like your hair might need a conditioning treatment at this stage.
    I can't use conditioner or oils, they cause my SD to flair. Petroleum based oils are all my scalp can tolerate.

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Sebum seems the same, thin and wet

I can't use conditioner or oils, they cause my SD to flair. Petroleum based oils are all my scalp can tolerate.
    Oh! Sorry to hear that.

I don't have any experience with petroleum based oils or SD