Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have tips for creating that poof without teasing?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Does anyone have tips for creating that poof without teasing?

I've recently discovered that I actually sort of love wearing a cinnabun as high up as possible. I've been trying to create that semi-Edwardian looking messy poof thing with the rest of my hair but it's not working great.

Does anyone know how to create that look without teasing?

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by jane_marie; January 2nd, 2020 at 12:40 PM.

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Does anyone have tips for creating that poof without teasing?

Bend forward & comb/brush your hair straight-down (which would be straight-up if you were upright). When you straighten back up, your hair will fall as though it were teased. You can play around with making the bun while you're still inverted or after you right yourself, to see what works best for you.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I did this a few days ago without teasing. I thought it had some Edwardian/Victorian look to it. I had braided my hair upside down and then turned it into a braided cinnabun high up on my head. It's very messy, I know, it was just a sleeping braid. You could also stick some puffy thing like a hairball under your hair.

Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    Bend forward & comb/brush your hair straight-down (which would be straight-up if you were upright). When you straighten back up, your hair will fall as though it were teased. You can play around with making the bun while you're still inverted or after you right yourself, to see what works best for you.
    That's what I do

But my hair is fine/wispy and lends itself easily to that technique; I must be careful to avoid tangles.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoo View Post
    Oh that makes sense! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I did this a few days ago without teasing. I thought it had some Edwardian/Victorian look to it. I had braided my hair upside down and then turned it into a braided cinnabun high up on my head. It's very messy, I know, it was just a sleeping braid. You could also stick some puffy thing like a hairball under your hair.
    I'm not sure if my hair is quite long enough for a braided cinnabun on top of my head but I'll try it. If nothing else it's probably a great idea for me for later.

Thanks!

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Make the bun in the air off the scalp then press it down and forward on the head to pin. This gives the extra slack/poof. I use a loose ponytail base as I cannot use scalp hair to hold my buns without pain

Also, reserving the front hairline hair and pinning it around the base of the bun can give that look too.
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    I'm not sure if my hair is quite long enough for a braided cinnabun on top of my head but I'll try it. If nothing else it's probably a great idea for me for later.
    My hair is considerably longer upside-down. I mean, it's only hip-length upright; but inverted? It's considerably past fingertip! You probably have more hair than you think.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

A Bumpit or knockoff may also help.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My hair puffs up about that much just from bristle brushing. I'm generally trying to get rid of poofiness rather than add it, but I find that if I don't keep "tension" right up against the crown of the head while forming a bun, it wants to be this shape (basically what Rowdy is describing). And you could always use something inside to shape it/provide support, which is definitely a historical-hairstyling-approved method ( ; So hard to find a horsehair pad these days. . .

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    My hair puffs up about that much just from bristle brushing. I'm generally trying to get rid of poofiness rather than add it, but I find that if I don't keep "tension" right up against the crown of the head while forming a bun, it wants to be this shape (basically what Rowdy is describing). And you could always use something inside to shape it/provide support, which is definitely a historical-hairstyling-approved method ( ; So hard to find a horsehair pad these days. . .
    Well, there were those hair-keeper boxes that ladies used to use for saving their shed hairs. Then you could make a form out of your own sheds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-ebony...4AAOSwAPpd68uM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Made-in-Aus...sAAOSwQZFduawy

ETA: Or you could use a nylon kneesock...

ETA: Those shed hairs also got used for rubber bands before rubber bands were invented: Just tie the shed around the end of your braid, tie a knot, & trim or wrap the ends around some more. Very hair-friendly!
    Last edited by Kalamazoo; January 4th, 2020 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling