Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting up hair when sleeping

Length
    ~2"/'BSL'/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Putting up hair when sleeping

What are some good ways of tying/putting-up your hair when going to bed, other than a basic ponytail?

With a ponytail I find that the elastic just comes off by morning, or moves down the length of my hair, both of which probably cause a fair bit of damage.
    When I leave my hair loose, it gets caught/pulled regularly when I turn (I'm a fairly restless sleeper ) and takes ages to untangle after I get up.

So, what are some other simple/easy ways of tying my hair up at bedtime? (bonus for anything that still looks ok to wear in the morning)

Length
    pixie/TB/knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Putting up hair when sleeping

I bun my hair usually, or braid. When I bun it, I use 2 hair scrunchies. I put the first one over 2 times, the second scrunchie goes over once and the second time I only pull it over half way. This holds really well and doesn't fall out. And sometimes it does look decent in the morning.

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I braid mine in a single English braid, started loosely at the nape, and I leave the end unfastened. I can't tell how long your hair is; it definitely requires some degree of length for it to work unfastened. Also, some folks find 2 braids--one on each side--more comfortable than a single one.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

I usually do either a braid or a bun. Either a single english braid at the nape, or a cinnamon bun held with small hairsticks.

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I use a top-of-the-head scrunchie bun for sleeping most nights, and it works really well. I have to buy new scrunchies periodically as my hair gets longer because the right amount of tension is critical for keeping the updo secure but not uncomfortably tight, but it's the most comfortable way I've found to wear my hair to bed.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    3"/20"/30"
    Type
    3b/F/i/ii

I was putting mine up in a ponytail. But recently it has been getting long enough to get pulled by hubby and atrociously tangled anyway.
    So I discovered the sleep bun!
    I lay down, hair loose, and flip it up over the pillow. Then gather it, because it will conveniently center on the top of my head. Make something more like a bee butt bun than anything else, and add two mini jaw clips. The clips hold a couple coils together, clipping on to scalp hair only seems to work a little, and mostly pulls. I position the clips at the front of my head to keep them as far away as possible from "rolling on them" position.
    This has been my new sleep-do all week! Comfy!

~____________________________~~____________________________~

Type
    2c/M/ii

Loose English braid, I don't have to tie it.

Length
    APL/waist/class
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I second the braid. It's what I go to sleep in every night.

You could also try a snood, but I'm not sure if that would work too well, since you said pony tails slide down your length.

A bun on the very top of your head might be your best bet, if you change positions while you sleep. That way, unless you start sleeping on top of you head, it'll be mostly undisturbed

Grow, grow, grow!

Length
    13"/Waist/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I sleep in braids most of the time. Either a loose braid starting at the nape of my neck, or a french braid. Lol, doing the french braid to sleep in is great practice, if you're not already proficient at it. No one has to see it if you don't do it well.

Doing two braids, either from nape or french braided, seems to look much better than a single braid, come morning. I guess more of the little hairs are confined with 2 braids and don't come loose with all the tossing and turning.

Also, if you have a significant other, or pets, braids don't hurt as much when someone else rolls over onto your hair.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I do braid or bun wrapped in turban while I sleep and my hairs are very good in the morning