Thread: Anyone know of any good protective updos for wrestling/bjj?

Length
    10/34/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Anyone know of any good protective updos for wrestling/bjj?

Need some ideas!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Anyone know of any good protective updos for wrestling/bjj?

I have a question, are you wearing protective head gear? My first hairstyle that comes o mind would be double dutch/french braids. I think they'd work with or without protective head gear.

Length
    28MBL/39TB+/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

For me, quickest and easiest is a pony tail that isn't pulled all the way through on the last wrap so it's still looped up, but it slips out kind of easy so it has to be redone a few times. More time consuming is double dutch, but those stay in place. I don't have any solutions for keeping the length out of the way. I just accept it as part of the game that it will get pulled sometimes.
    I don't deal with wrestling head gear or anything. BJJ and Judo for me. Lots of throwing, and all the groundwork too.
    Lady Arimed, Battle-Healer of the Well of Sláine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    10/34/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FennFire911 View Post
    For me, quickest and easiest is a pony tail that isn't pulled all the way through on the last wrap so it's still looped up, but it slips out kind of easy so it has to be redone a few times. More time consuming is double dutch, but those stay in place. I don't have any solutions for keeping the length out of the way. I just accept it as part of the game that it will get pulled sometimes.
    I don't deal with wrestling head gear or anything. BJJ and Judo for me. Lots of throwing, and all the groundwork too.
    How do you manage that? Doesn't your hair get damaged and in your partners way etc?

Length
    10/34/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    I have a question, are you wearing protective head gear? My first hairstyle that comes o mind would be double dutch/french braids. I think they'd work with or without protective head gear.
    No head gear, and I'd be worried about braids hanging down, id like an updo that keeps the hair completely out of the way

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Maybe italian hair taping? It can be very secure and could even go under a helmet if you wore one. I do karate, which doesn't have as much grappling and I usually just use spin pins for a bun, but the hair wrapping has held up well to karate too.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Crown braids or faux crown braid sewn down to your head. I use them for work as a truck driver; loose hair or long braids can easily get me into trouble on minesites so hair must be up and secure.
    ​So...knee?

Length
    Chin/FTL/Term
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

That depends on the association's rules for using a slicker. Speaking specifically from a youth folkstyle wrestling standpoint, my son's didn't require a slicker this year, but last year it had to be flat-to-skull, under the headgear, and attached, used by anyone with ear-length hair or longer. Multiple french braids were generally used by the long hairs on the team, with plain, no-metal elastics. This year, I've seen french and dutch braids, both relatively tight & flat to the skull. Crown braids and hair taping are kind of iffy and depend on the ref (crowns can be seen as an extra illegal grab point, and it's just easiest to remove it; hair taping can come loose and provide distractions/hazards).