Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to identify silicones in product ingredient list?

Default How to identify silicones in product ingredient list?

Hey! I’ve recently decided to make the switch to natural shampoo and conditioner with no silicones, parabens, or phthalates. The labeling very clearly states that it doesn’t have any of these things, so that makes it easy . I want to make sure my styling products/leave-ins don’t have silicones either, but if the labeling doesn’t say either way, how do I know? What names should I look for on the ingredients list that indicate silicones?

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: How to identify silicones in product ingredient list?

Here is a thread that's good to read.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=122421

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

They usually end in -cone, -conol, -xane. This blog post gives lots of examples: http://thebeautybrains.com/2010/06/a...ilicone-savvy/

A couple of things not mentioned on the thread littlestarface linked above:
    Methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone might look a bit like cones in an ingredient list but they're not; they're preservatives.
    Cyclopentasiloxane is apparently a volatile silicone which evaporates, so doesn't build up.
    Amodimethicone is not water-soluble, but does not build up on itself. It creates the first layer, attaching to areas of the hair, but no more than that first layer in any area will attach.

This was mentioned in the linked thread but is worth reiterating, in case it's of use to you or anyone else stopping by to read the thread: silicones with a PEG- prefix are water-soluble by themselves (but as always, the exact formulation of a product will determine the effect it has overall).

Oops, re-reading your post I see you're steering clear of silicones in favour of more natural products rather than because of build-up potential so half of my comment might be irrelevant to you, but I'll leave all the above info here anyway in case it's relevant to others
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Cyclopentasiloxane is apparently a volatile silicone which evaporates, so doesn't build up.
    How does it evaporate? Just over time? Does it affect the feeling of the hair? Does the hair start to feel less slippy over time? Is it still water-insoluble even though it ****s off on its own? So many questions!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    How does it evaporate? Just over time? Does it affect the feeling of the hair? Does the hair start to feel less slippy over time? Is it still water-insoluble even though it ****s off on its own? So many questions!
    Heh, I ran into these kinds of questions myself checking to make sure I was giving correct information, but it's not something I'm currently considering using so didn't delve much deeper. However I did find that, like any other ingredient, it seems different people's hair reacts differently to it! So that's no help, sorry.

(I'm also curious to know what word you wrote to invoke the automatic forum censoring - it makes me laugh when innocent words fall foul of the filter )
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Heh, I ran into these kinds of questions myself checking to make sure I was giving correct information, but it's not something I'm currently considering using so didn't delve much deeper. However I did find that, like any other ingredient, it seems different people's hair reacts differently to it! So that's no help, sorry.

(I'm also curious to know what word you wrote to invoke the automatic forum censoring - it makes me laugh when innocent words fall foul of the filter )
    Ah, I see! No matter then. Thank you.

LOL, it was far from innocent, but I trusted that the automatic censoring would cover for me! I was just in a hurry when I wrote that and couldn't come up with any other expression!
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Silicones aren't too hard these days, but how do you identify Phthalates or Parabens?

I can't, so I just use a brand that's free of all of them. That's the easiest way for me.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    Silicones aren't too hard these days, but how do you identify Phthalates or Parabens?

I can't, so I just use a brand that's free of all of them. That's the easiest way for me.
    I just google all the ingreds I don't know... Or chuck it in the ingredient analyzer on skincarisma.com it's a godsend
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by illicitlizard View Post
    I just google all the ingreds I don't know... Or chuck it in the ingredient analyzer on skincarisma.com it's a godsend
    Yeah, you can absolutely do that. But when I'm looking for a shampoo or conditioner, it's just too much work for me to google all the ingredients. I'm lazy, prefer the company to let me know if it's free of what I don't want to use..lol.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I just use this site http://isitcg.herokuapp.com/Home/ also tells me if there is protein which I also try to avoid
    currently approaching tbl