Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with henna! Hair turning purple. . .

Length
    18/18/18
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Help with henna! Hair turning purple. . .

Hello!

I've been using Lush's henna blocks to color my medium brown hair for about a year and a half. It's been covering my grays fairly well, except that all of a sudden, Lush has been making my hair turn purple, and I'm not sure why. I've sifted through some old threads, and see that this is not the preferred brand. Looking into switching to mehandi or Light mountain. Will using a brown mehandi mix make things worse? Anyone have any experience correcting purple hair? Apologies if I haven't done my due diligence researching this-- I have a newish baby and am exhausted.

Thank you!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Help with henna! Hair turning purple. . .

Isn’t this also your post?

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=146833

Henna is red, you’ve stated you want brown. Henna won’t help. Likewise, buildup of henna? Starts going purple if there’s enough previous henna applications. I highly recommend you look into Adore dyes if you want brown.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18/18/18
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Thank you! I developed an extreme aversion to chemicals during a pregnancy, and it has stuck with me Hoping to find the right indigo/henna mix to stop this purpling trend:-/

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

If you're considering mehandi.com, they've got really great customer service, and if you call them up, they will help you get the shade you want to the best of their ability, and they have a lot of knowledge and experience.

And you can get brown mixing henna and indigo.

Eta: mehandi also has a Facebook group, and everyone is very helpful there.
    Last edited by CopperButterfly; July 2nd, 2018 at 06:40 PM.

Length
    18/18/18
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CopperButterfly View Post
    If you're considering mehandi.com, they've got really great customer service, and if you call them up, they will help you get the shade you want to the best of their ability, and they have a lot of knowledge and experience.

And you can get brown mixing henna and indigo.

Eta: mehandi also has a Facebook group, and everyone is very helpful there.
    Oh wow, that's such a great resource. Thank you!

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Congratulations on the baby! I hear you on the exhaustion, DS22 didn't sleep through the night until he was 7 months old. It was hard.

I'd totally call mehandi. (Also known as hennaforhair.com) I called them when I switched to henna. They recommended rajasthani because I was concerned about covering my gray, wanted my hair red, and was growing out a salon brunette dye. I tested on sheds -- with a pixie, it was complicated. I loved it!

I don't know anything about Lush products or what they contain. If it's got veggie dye in it, you might be able to lift it with a clarifier, like dandruff shampoo or dish soap? I've heard henna will go purple after many applications. Switch to just touching up roots only, and see if your new growth behaves itself?

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    18/18/18
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
    Congratulations on the baby! I hear you on the exhaustion, DS22 didn't sleep through the night until he was 7 months old. It was hard.

I'd totally call mehandi. (Also known as hennaforhair.com) I called them when I switched to henna. They recommended rajasthani because I was concerned about covering my gray, wanted my hair red, and was growing out a salon brunette dye. I tested on sheds -- with a pixie, it was complicated. I loved it!

I don't know anything about Lush products or what they contain. If it's got veggie dye in it, you might be able to lift it with a clarifier, like dandruff shampoo or dish soap? I've heard henna will go purple after many applications. Switch to just touching up roots only, and see if your new growth behaves itself?
    Thank you! It's good to know that they're so helpful--I'll do that. That's so interesting re: henna going purple after many applications. I wonder if that's what's happening here. I love your pixie!! Haha, I'm guessing you don't really mean DS #22. If so I'm incredibly impressed! Sleep is so hard, but it's getting better! Now it's just the constant interaction that's exhausting me. . .

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this--but since my mehandi order hasn't arrived yet, I did another lush root touch up last night. I only washed it with conditioner afterwards. How long do people usually wait before washing with Shampoo? I like the color so much better the first day when it's just been henna-ed and washed with conditioner. It's always darker and more brown (maybe because it's dirty.) It is mildly uncomfortable to wait to use shampoo but I'm trying to wait at least one more day to see if that helps the color stay darker and browner. Could the fact that I've been using just regular old Dove shampoo on my hair also be making the brown fade to purple? I used to spend so much $$ on shampoo until a house guest left their dove travel sized shampoo bottle, and for whatever reason my hair responds really well to that. But maybe it's not great for the color. Also, I only wash my hair once after I henna it, and then I don't wash it for another 1-2 weeks until my next henna application. I wonder if that's a problem.

Apologies for the long response. Thank you for any thoughts!

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by grover4232 View Post
    Thank you! It's good to know that they're so helpful--I'll do that. That's so interesting re: henna going purple after many applications. I wonder if that's what's happening here. I love your pixie!! Haha, I'm guessing you don't really mean DS #22. If so I'm incredibly impressed! Sleep is so hard, but it's getting better! Now it's just the constant interaction that's exhausting me. . .

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this--but since my mehandi order hasn't arrived yet, I did another lush root touch up last night. I only washed it with conditioner afterwards. How long do people usually wait before washing with Shampoo? I like the color so much better the first day when it's just been henna-ed and washed with conditioner. It's always darker and more brown (maybe because it's dirty.) It is mildly uncomfortable to wait to use shampoo but I'm trying to wait at least one more day to see if that helps the color stay darker and browner. Could the fact that I've been using just regular old Dove shampoo on my hair also be making the brown fade to purple? I used to spend so much $$ on shampoo until a house guest left their dove travel sized shampoo bottle, and for whatever reason my hair responds really well to that. But maybe it's not great for the color. Also, I only wash my hair once after I henna it, and then I don't wash it for another 1-2 weeks until my next henna application. I wonder if that's a problem.

I usually shampoo the next day after hennaing. Henna is a little drying and washing with shampoo clarifies and resets my hair pretty well.

It’s pretty impossible not to get overlap if you’re doing your roots every 1-2 weeks, so the build up of henna is most likely what’s giving you the burgundy/purple shade, and the effect is exaggerated because of the amount of grey.

I used to wait 3 days before using shampoo after henna, but the just started using it straight away, after rinsing the henna out, and noticed no colour difference at all between the two methods. It’s more comfortable to use shampoo straight away so that’s my preferred option now.

Has your Adore dye been delivered yet?

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

DS is 22 years old now. I also have a DD who is 21. Thankfully, she slept pretty good. They are 17 months apart, and it seemed like I felt tired for years!

I like my hair freshly hennaed too, but it all oxidizes: browns down after a few days. That's just the way henna works.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.