Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wear their hair up everyday, mostly?

Default Does anyone wear their hair up everyday, mostly?

I had a bad experience with a stylist recently who cut too many layers in it and made it short. Due to the layering, my ends are thin. I've decided to wear a bun, but I feel so naked wi;thout my hair and I feel I don't look good. It looks awful down. How long does it take to get used to it up? In the meantime, I'm trying to take care of the hair I have left.

Length
    MBL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Does anyone wear their hair up everyday, mostly?

I wear it down twice a week after I wash. I've been cutting back to once a week, wearing down. I wear in a bun or braid most times. It may take some time but try different styles depending on your length.

Save your hair vitamin money and put into a retirement fund. That's growth.

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I where mine up about 70% of the time, maybe more. I enjoy it down with the waves mostly on days off but for working and commuting it is always up.

Maybe practice buns? Different styles and different placements, you may find a way you really like to where it.
    I am Galvatron … you have no right to change what I am!

Length
    Chin/BSL/CL
    Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I usually wear mine down at home and for a day or two after I wash it. Its important to protect your hair so I wear it up about 75% of the time but you also should enjoy your hair or else whats the point of growing it so long and pretty.

In colder weather I wear it down most of the time in a half up or ponytail.
    Once it gets hot it is up ALL the time.
    I didn't grow it long in my 60's to hide it and I love the feel of it on my back.

Oh no...that stinks (((hugs))))

Twists with claw clips, or half ups may help until you get some volume/length back.

You didn't say how long it is now.

The more you can do yourself re: trims etc the better; then you know exactly what you will be getting.

Bling it up until you can do more with it ~ Good luck
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; February 13th, 2018 at 09:32 PM.

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Hair up all day all night. Barely even do braids anymore, now that I think about it. Occasionally take it down to detangle or wash. Having your hair up becomes comfortable once you find a bun that really works for you. Especially when I was growing out layers I had to switch it up occasionally because suddenly a bun would stop working. In terms of aesthetics, I part and arrange my hair before bunning to secure the look. Face framing bits helped too. Right now I have wispies from sleeping on my sides.

Happy experimenting!
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

I wear mine up 95% of the time. If it's down, it's usually drying or I'm at home just relaxing. Most of the time it's up in a bun for work requirements or to keep it out of my toddler's reach lol. When it's getting close to wash day I do oiled braids. My hair is classic length, so practicality forced me to keep it up to reduce damage. When it was shorter though, I felt the same way you did.

I suggest getting some hair toys you loooooove, perhaps you might feel more confident with your hair up that way. The hairstyle of the month section of this forum was also inspiration for me when I started wearing my hair up more. There are rolls and tucks and things you can do to add volume and variety to updos. Some people I know also decided to get bangs because they thought it helped their hair not look so flat and boring when pulled back.

Good luck!

Length
    Chin/WL/Clsc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I wear my hair up in a bun every day and occasionally in a side braid. I didn't get used to burning until I cut in some bangs and face framing layers. I just don't look great with my hair up and no bangs. They've been a life saver!

Length
    Pixie/31-1//52 KL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Everyday except one wash day a week. I need a different bun, though. It's more like a roll bun clipped in place.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I remember that feeling of feeling naked and strange when I first started wearing my hair up. It took a couple weeks, if I remember, to get used to it.

Keep in mind that our brains are pretty garbage and discerning "different" from "bad." You likely look perfectly lovely, but your brain is going "different!!!!!!!!" and we take this uncertainty and newness as negative, even when it isn't.