Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racist hair policy in the news....AGAIN

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Racist hair policy in the news....AGAIN

Good grief! Why can't the powers that be just let people be who they are? I think African American hair in traditional, natural styles is beautiful! This is incredibly racist!

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/but...tion/283068362

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Racist hair policy in the news....AGAIN

I don't understand why? Like why else would you make that rule if not to be purposely discriminatory?
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

This kind of stuff still happens? What are they supposed to do? Chemically relax their hair to death, or wear a hat (which might also be forbidden)...? There's really no good reason for this!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    NL/SL/MBL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/i/ii

Organizations that ban traditional AA hairstyles like those mentioned in the article often associate those hairstyles with gangs, violence, etc not realizing (or maybe they do) they are banning parts of a culture that has absolutely nothing to do with violence. If not associated with violence, they're associated with some other sort of negative connotation.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

That is discriminatory. That's like the school that had a list of extreme hairstyles that were banned. It went something like this, no hair dyes, mohawks, afros etc.

Here's another case of it. A woman in a workplace with no dress code kept getting memos about her hair. Apparently pony tails and plaits/braids are not professional enough according to a senior at work so she put on a head wrap. Then she's told "cultural" head wraps are not professional so she's protesting by coming to work cosplay style.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/07...ds-by-cosplay/

I'd have gone in to work with a wrap with the words "non cultural" written on it.

I'd also heard about a woman in the USA with natural curly kinky hair who'd been told that she'd been successful at her job interview but she had to do something about her hair because the company does not allow plaits/braids, or afros. The woman did enquire how she should style her hair but just got a shrug as an answer.
    Last edited by Hairkay; July 29th, 2016 at 01:10 PM.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip

Length
    17/27.5/30
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Grrr. This is so awful. People/organizations need to get the memo that *being black is not unprofessional*. (And yes, that is what policies that don't allow natural hair are effectively saying.)

Length
    Chin/WL/Clsc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hairkay View Post
    That is discriminatory. That's like the school that had a list of extreme hairstyles that were banned. It went something like this, no hair dyes, mohawks, afros etc.

Here's another case of it. A woman in a workplace with no dress code kept getting memos about her hair. Apparently pony tails and plaits/braids are not professional enough according to a senior at work so she put on a head wrap. Then she's told "cultural" head wraps are not professional so she's protesting by coming to work cosplay style.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2016/07...ds-by-cosplay/

I'd have gone in to work with a wrap with the words "non cultural" written on it.

I'd also heard about a woman in the USA with natural curly kinky hair who'd been told that she'd been successful at her job interview but she had to do something about her hair because the company does not allow plaits/braids, or afros. The woman did enquire how she should style her hair but just got a shrug as an answer.
    No "cultural" head wraps? What is a "cultural" head wrap? And are there "non-cultural" head wraps? (!!!) This is complete insanity and makes me really angry.

I hope she sued her boss!
    ◊∞◊ lady seren, charter of the stars in the order of the long haired knights ◊∞◊
    CL - SL - APL- BSL - MBL- WL - HL - TBL
    last box dye: 10/2015 || last cut: 04/2016 || last henndigo: 08/2016 || last henna: 07/2017

Length
    17.5/17.5/32
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Policies like this are awful. Being black is not unprofessional in a work environment or a distraction to peers in a school environment.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I'm betting little Sally Sue with blond hair and blue eyes can wear braids.

Bar team logo wear, set uniforms, but stop making like harder for parents trying to keep the kids neat and tidy.
    And quit making curly hair a crime.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    I don't understand why? Like why else would you make that rule if not to be purposely discriminatory?
    I think it largely comes down to subconscious discrimination, rather than deliberate. As a society we have certain ideals about what looks "smart" and "put together". For men that's a short back-and-sides, and for women that's straight-to-wavy, often pulled back in a sleek bun.

I don't think the school went, "Let's discriminate against AA kids". Instead, I think someone more likely said, "We should expect kids to look professional to prepare them for the workplace", and then they came up with a very white-oriented list of hair rules. This does not at all excuse them, because *especially* as educators they have a responsibility to examine their privilege and internal biases, but it speaks to a wider problem that can't be dismissed as an isolated group of backwards teachers who hate black kids, but a society that views whiteness as the default to which everyone should conform.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB