Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going crazy trying to do a bun!

Length
    ?/41/41
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Unhappy Going crazy trying to do a bun!

Stupid, isn't it? I look at photos of all the lovely folks here and there are buns left, right and centre. You make them look so easy! I've watched the videos and I've been trying to do a bun every night for days. I've tried a cinnabun, lazy wrap and nautilus but the nautilus is the only one I've had any success with. I think I've almost figured out how to get it to work but I'm stumped at the stick part.
    How do you make the bun hold against the head? My one is always sort of loose - it stays in place but it is floppy, like you can just pick the bun up, it is not flat against the head. My sister and mother insist that you put the stick in downwards so that it grabs scalp hair and then go through the bun, but in videos like Torrin's, the stick goes out and then through and doesn't look like it grabs any scalp hair. Which is right? How the heck do I get a firm bun?

Length
    12/42/48+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Going crazy trying to do a bun!

It just looks as if it doesn't grab scalp hair; that is due to years of practice. In the early stages of hairstick-bun-making, the movements are pretty obvious, and after a while, it's so fluent that you can't recognise the separate steps. Your sister and mother are right. Grabbing scalp hair also means the bun won't be floppy and will stay flat to the head.
    That said, I have some trouble with hairstick buns myself, they tend to come apart after an hour or so, but that's because I have very slippery hair. I have had more luck with using two hairsticks.
    http://s24.postimg.org/bk9mfxret/Segment_3maart2013_25sept2014_2.png

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

There are a few different ways to get a stick to hold a bun. The one that works best for me is to start out inserting the stick at about a 45-degree angle from the scalp and pointed away from the direction you want the stick to eventually be facing. For example, if you are inserting a stick from the right side of a bun to the left, start out with the stick going through the right side of the bun and the point angled toward the right. When the stick reaches the scalp, angle the point inward toward the scalp, picking up scalp hair, until the stick is pointed toward where you want it to exit the bun (in our example bun, the stick would now be pointing left, toward the far side of the bun). Push the stick through the bun.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    MBL/Waist/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I know the feeling! I've been here for more than a year now and I still only know two buns. It's so difficult! But yes, you are supposed to grab some scalp hair with the stick. That's what keeps it up.

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Like others have said, yes you need to pick both scalp hair and bun hair, kind of weave or zigzag the sticks/forks in.

You might have better luck using 2 sticks or forks, by the way. Spin pins are also nice! you can use them with stick(s) and fork.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    16/30/50
    Type
    1b/F/i

Hi I have a similar problem with sticks, it is only recently I have made them work, but I help them along with pins. I also like forks, 4 prongs are best for my fine hair and they hold all day. Good luck finding what works for you
    Tailbone to Classic!
    Wear your hair up challenge
    Microtrimming and Maintaining

Length
    ???/Calf/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Don't you bun-masters all worry about breakage when you put a stick or whatever in? It would be likely to be close to the scalp, as well, which means if your hair's very long then that strand has a heck of a way to go to rejoin the others. And if you're doing that every day... *shudder* Is there a way of stopping that? Or am I insane for even worrying about it?

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemia View Post
    Don't you bun-masters all worry about breakage when you put a stick or whatever in? It would be likely to be close to the scalp, as well, which means if your hair's very long then that strand has a heck of a way to go to rejoin the others. And if you're doing that every day... *shudder* Is there a way of stopping that? Or am I insane for even worrying about it?
    Sorry, I don't understand the bolded part.

To answer the first questions, when the stick and forks have tines that are shaped correctly ("aerodynamic", if you will) and if they are smooth, they do not break hairs. Ofcourse as with everything long hair related, you need to be gentle and careful when inserting them.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

On a cinnabun I go into the bun on one side with the stick, then push the tip of the stick back on itself before pushing it back into the forward position again, going under the scalp hair in the process to grab some. I then thread the whole stick through the rest of the bun to the other side. Does that make any sense? In, back, under and forward, through.

Sorry, it's a little hard to explain what I mean.

It holds really steady like this. I even managed to do this the other day for the first time since I cut my hair. It's just about grown long enough to bun & stick on second day hair.

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Length
    Chin/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

It might help to use a hair elastic to learn the movements (it helped me at any rate)...If you gather your hair into a loose pony before you wind up the bun, then you can use the ponytail holder to mimic grabbing scalp hair (it'll also add stability, which helps when you're learning!)

...So for example, I'd make a bun with the pony in the center(this worked best with center held buns like a lazy wrap or loose nautilus), then insert the stick into the outermost loop of the bun at maybe a 10 degree angle to the back of my head...scoop the tip of the stick under the ponytail holder/elastic (this is getting your scalp hairs), then out underneath the pony holder and angled away through the opposite outermost loop of the bun at a similar angle to what you inserted at the to. If it was too hard to get the stick through using that motion, I'd make the bun & pony looser till it worked.

Hopefully that might help? Anyway, because I'm at lunch and easily entertained by sketching rough diagrams, you get a rough diagram! (This works for either top-down insertion or side-to-side)...Once the stick is in (assuming it's straight and not a pronounced curve), it pulls the outer loops back toward your head and pushes the ponytail holder out away from your head slightly (this is where you may need to loosen things up a bit for comfort).

Once I had the general motion down, it was pretty easy to skip the pony step.

SL ~ APL
    ~ BSL ~ MB abyss ~ WL ~ HIP ~ TB?
    minor trims to thicken ends before traipsing on toward HIP!