Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...where'd my volume go? D:

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default ...where'd my volume go? D:

My hair is as wavy as ever, maybe even a little wavier, but it's flat. There's no volume anywhere. Which is odd for me seeing how my hair tends to be very thick. What happened and how can I fix it?!

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: ...where'd my volume go? D:

I guess thats the weight of the hair that comes with more length. Also the better you take care of your hair the more likely your waves align in a more uniform pattern leaving no frizzy hairs in between to fluff it up. Or maybe you overconditioned?

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Sometimes a build up can make hair look flat. Have you clarified in the last couple of months? Might be worth a try!
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I get that on my second day hair, since i braid it to sleep. So it's totally lifeless the next day, all these thin clumps with no "poof" to them. Is yours like this even on a wash day?? I think I'm so used to when I used to brush it day and night, and now I never brush, so I have no "tools" to make it voluminous unless I get it wet again! I second what OP said above about the fact that taking good care of hair, means less frizz. My hair almost looks "silky" if you know what I mean, and not "bushY" any longer and I think a lot of it is now I do no shampoo on length, we just tend to treat our hair better and it behaves better. Like it's trained. Also, the length. My husband keeps saying to me, if you want more volume, cut it.

Length
    20/51.5/??
    Type
    3a/M/iii

My hair is the same...it used to be full, curly, and "big"...now that it has gotten to thigh-length...it just seems flat. Not sure what to do about it either.

gosh at least you didn't lose volume until "thigh-length". I'm not even to hip yet, maybe I won't ever get there, and mine isn't as poofy as I"m used to either but then I think this is the longest I've ever had my hair.

Length
    SL/SL/WL
    Type
    3a/C/ii

I second clarifying and seeing if that helps. Otherwise, have you switched shampoo or conditioner recently? I assume not or you probably would have mentioned it.... but different shampoos/conditioners definitely have an effect on how flat or puffy my hair is.

Length
    18/26/tbd
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I remember the first time this happened to me, I freaked out! It turns out that my hair was a lot fluffier in general because of frizz and less clumping and when cared for properly, curls would clump together and overall frizz was lower making my hair have less volume. Now I actually do have less hair than before, still trying to figure out why, and I wish frizz was my only concern regarding volume ...
    SL - 19 - 20 - 21- APL ​- 23 - 24 - BSL - 26 - 27- 28 - MBL - 30 - 31- WL
    ~*~Measured when curly ~*~

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FallingDarkness View Post
    My hair is as wavy as ever, maybe even a little wavier, but it's flat. There's no volume anywhere. Which is odd for me seeing how my hair tends to be very thick. What happened and how can I fix it?!
    First, I agree with everything else posted here. Definitely the choice of shampoo and conditioner can impact volume, not shampooing the length does that too...
    Length weighs down on the volume, too, which is why one of the solutions for uncontrollable "lionesque" big hair is to just grow it out longer.

For more volume, I'd recommend:
    - clarifying shampoos,
    - using light conditioners (they are often marketed for fine hair),
    - going for film-forming humectants, panthenol, hydrolyzed proteins, cassia and other volume-inducing ingredients,
    - styling wet/damp hair upside down,
    - brushing/combing hair upside down,
    - scrunching/plopping and blow-drying (if you do blow-dry) the roots,
    - putting hair in jumbo, extra-large foam rollers or satin-covered rollers to style, like these or these - roll until very close to root to give extra lift,
    - using bump-its, hair rats and other tools to create volume,
    - dry shampoos (to be brushed out upside down) on non-wash days,
    - using volumizing styling products, like some mousses, salt sprays, hairsprays - just don't use them too much, because they can be drying.

Length
    9/31/33
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've had this very same freak out and eventually found out that the culprit was low humidity. Normally it's very humid here so I get used to my hair's poof, but then when it drops it doesn't even feel like my hair! Has the humidity been low where you live? Also all of these other suggestions are very good too.

Sad Pixie//Chin//Shoulder//APL//BSL//MBL//Waist
    Ultimate goal: Waist and Henna Free!