Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna GLOSS using COCONUT MILK! ( super hydrating )

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Henna GLOSS using COCONUT MILK! ( super hydrating )

Henna glosses using COCONUT MILK
    Since I've had so many people ask me how to do a henna gloss using coconut milk I figured I make a thread about it.

The advantage of using henna glosses

- cost effective ( less henna used)
    - incredible colour and shine
    - super hydrating and conditioning
    - relaxes curl some so less frizz
    - NON drying
    - saves time
    - easier application , more slip
    - healthy for scalp and hair
    - can easily be frozen for convenience and ease which also increases dye release)
    - can be used to add other Essential Oils ( ES's) to reduces the henna scent some

I usually use a bit of warm herbal tea to my mix just because I like it but you can add straight coconut milk for a wonderful conditioning gloss. The best type of coconut milk to use is the canned full fat variety. This has the coconut oil intact which really helps provide slip but also makes the gloss super creamy and smooth. I get mine from the bulk store. Thailand coconut milk with no preservatives but any canned coconut milk will do.
    Because I'm greying I have to henna every 10 to 14 days. It can be very time consuming and messy. Plus after a while the build up of henna can leave you with an unwanted colour. Using henna glosses provides a nice subtle colour but can cover greys just fine. I add a touch of hibiscus powder just to zap any of that orange glow you can get, especially on greying hair BUT this of course is optional.

I've been using henna now for over 35 years and have found this method to be the easiest most conditioning method ever.

I use bigger batches and freeze them. I also add peppermint oil and sometimes rosemary, tea tree or lavender oils. I find the peppermint to be very stimulating to the scalp, is great for promoting a healthy scalp and reduces the henna scent. Over the years I've become a bit sensitive to the scent of henna so this really helps.
    I cover the henna with plastic wrap, then a towel on top of that. The warmth helps with dye release. Sometimes I'll set my henna in a bowl of hot water for faster dye release but normally I just leave it on the countertop for 12 hours. I divide my henna and store it in those Glad heavy duty freezer ZIPLOCK bags., freezing some for later use. Henna freezes well even with the oils and coconut milk added.

I don't wash my hair first but I do wet it and thoroughly condition the hair from the ears down . This prevents excess henna from getting absorbed into my length and creates super conditioned hair so henna application is easier. I DO NOT rinse out the conditioner but leave it on.

I use a stiff colouring brush to apply my henna but only because I have a 5.25 hair circumference so soft brushes don't work well for me . Besides which I use the other pointed end to part my hair. I do the part first, and gloss one side only, then carry on glossing over an inch at a time until Ive covered my entire scalp. I usually just smoosh henna into the back of my hair with gloved hands as I have little grey back there. Once I'm done I cover with plastic wrap / then a terry cloth turbin and leave on anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours; 2 hours being average.

NOTE: Henna lowers body temperature so you may wish to grab a blanket and read or watch TV while you are waiting.

Then I rinse my hair extremely well making sure all the henna is out. The coconut milk added really helps with the rinse as does the conditioned hair. I DO NOT wash my hair since I've found this treatment to be cleansing enough but I DO condition once more , comb it through , rinse, add a ACV rinse , dry with cotton t shirt, then add a pea sized amount of coconut oil or shea butter just to seal in the moisture. ( Of course all this is optional also as these are merely MY PREFERENCES!!

Your hair will take extra time to dry but will be fabulously conditioned and looking marvellous.
    Here is a VERY helpful link about coconut milk henna glosses. There are 134 responses which I recommend people read over time because there are some REALLY good suggestions.

I'm not claiming this to be the ultimate best way but it certainly is for me.

http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/henn...-healthy-hair/

NOTE: I personally wait for dye release following the instructions of the henna supplier. Different strains can require different amounts of time. For instance Morroccan henna requires the least amount of time : 1 to 2 hours so its best to ask your supplier about this . Some henna have other herbs added which could possibly change this some. So please inquire ahead of time .
    Last edited by hennalonghair; January 5th, 2015 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling

Default Re: Henna GLOSS using COCONUT MILK! ( super hydrating )

Thanks so much for this, it's really helpful! I am very tempted to try a henna gloss... How much would you say it relaxes a coarse-ish 2c wave pattern? Like to 2a? I would like looser curls and a nicer colour.

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Oooh, thanks for sharing this!
    Also, we are pony circumference twins!!

I like the idea of this, because I don't want to think how much henna I'd need to go my whole head, but I would love a chocolatey gloss on my underlayers and this sounds like the perfect solution.
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Thanks for all the great info!!! Couple of quick questions for you though. What ratios of henna and coconut milk do you use? Also, what is the consistency like? Is a gloss still thick like a regular henna or is it much thinner?

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I love henna- I've never tried it with coconut milk in the mix, but I love that I can do a heavy coconut oiling prior to my henna and it doesn't affect the dye uptake at all.

texangrrl- Glosses are way easier to work with imo- I usually just use regular conditioner in my mix. It's easier to wash out, less drying, and the consistency is more creamy than straight henna mud, which is a pain to work through the hair. With the conditioner I use, the consistency is more like creamy cake batter.

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by texangrrl View Post
    Thanks for all the great info!!! Couple of quick questions for you though. What ratios of henna and coconut milk do you use? Also, what is the consistency like? Is a gloss still thick like a regular henna or is it much thinner?
    I really couldn't say exactly because I never measure it. I get my dry henna , add about 1/3 cup hot water and then I open the can of coconut oil without shaking it so all the coconut oil is at the too. I scoop that up and mix it in and then gradually add more of the coconut milk until I have a creamy gloss. Its just like doing a gloss with conditioner only some people like myself can't use conditioner on their scalp so using coconut milk is a great alternative.
    Coconut milk is very hydrating. In some countries its used to replenish dehydrated patients.
    The LINK DOES provide some specific measurements though. Its a great link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halliday View Post
    Thanks so much for this, it's really helpful! I am very tempted to try a henna gloss... How much would you say it relaxes a coarse-ish 2c wave pattern? Like to 2a? I would like looser curls and a nicer colour.
    I've been using henna for 35 some odd years. I can't remember what my hair was like before henna. I'd say I was closer to a 2c/3a before. Now I'm a 2b/2c with a 3a under layer. My hair still gets quite Curiy but not quite as frizzy. It has smoothed much if my curl frizz down quite significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by maborosi View Post
    I love henna- I've never tried it with coconut milk in the mix, but I love that I can do a heavy coconut oiling prior to my henna and it doesn't affect the dye uptake at all.

texangrrl- Glosses are way easier to work with imo- I usually just use regular conditioner in my mix. It's easier to wash out, less drying, and the consistency is more creamy than straight henna mud, which is a pain to work through the hair. With the conditioner I use, the consistency is more like creamy cake batter.
    This is very much like a conditioner henna gloss. Its sooo much easier to apply and far far more conditioning than regular treatments.

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSheep View Post
    Oooh, thanks for sharing this!
    Also, we are pony circumference twins!!

I like the idea of this, because I don't want to think how much henna I'd need to go my whole head, but I would love a chocolatey gloss on my underlayers and this sounds like the perfect solution.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sorry. I missed you. Thanks for the thanks lol

Circumference twins

Length
    36/BCL/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

thanks for sharing hennalonghair! i'd love to try this soon.

i have a question concerning the coconut milk. I found a couple of cans in my kitchen but they seem to contain preservatives/additives (?), not sure how safe these would be for the mixes. i think i read somewhere to avoid using coconut milk with added sugar.

The can i have by the brand "full moon authentic essentials" has the following ingredients: coconut milk extract (41%),water, stabiliser, guar gum, emulsifier polysorbate, antioxidant, citric acid E330, antioxidant sodium metabisulphite.

i also have a full fat version (by Amoy), ingredients are: coconut extract (55%), water,thickener carboxy methyl cellulose, emulsifier polysorbate.

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrielle View Post
    thanks for sharing hennalonghair! i'd love to try this soon.

i have a question concerning the coconut milk. I found a couple of cans in my kitchen but they seem to contain preservatives/additives (?), not sure how safe these would be for the mixes. i think i read somewhere to avoid using coconut milk with added sugar.

The can i have by the brand "full moon authentic essentials" has the following ingredients: coconut milk extract (41%),water, stabiliser, guar gum, emulsifier polysorbate, antioxidant, citric acid E330, antioxidant sodium metabisulphite.

i also have a full fat version (by Amoy), ingredients are: coconut extract (55%), water,thickener carboxy methyl cellulose, emulsifier polysorbate.
    I would use the 2nd one. I've used coconut milks with preservatives in them and haven't found much difference.
    I'm just a tree hugging kind of women so prefer most things as natural as possible.

A word of caution about using the addition of hibiscus powder.
    Hibiscus powder has incredible staining power so very little is needed. Because it colours a blue red it WILL make your hair a darker shade. It also a beautiful but unnatural shade. The colour itself is lovely but please understand that its base tone is blue red not true red. There's a big difference

Length
    36/BCL/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

thanks for the info. I too prefer to go as natural as possible these days, i tried to look for an organic brand /without additives in my area but i am out in the sticks and quite limited (unless i order online).
    I just posted on the burgundy henna thread what happened when i used henna+ hibiscus and what you're saying makes me seriously question the hibiscus i have. mine doesn't seem to have the purple/blue undertones (even when i washed it out the water was brownish) but then i am fairly new to using hibiscus so who knows. i have googled it up and others get a rosier mix, mine was more on the brownish/brick red side hmm . any trusted brands/sellers you'd recommend? i am not in the States but i may find it here. i just wanted my silvers to blend in well with the rest of my hair which is naturally very dark brown with cool undertones. The orange/copper look and contrast with the rest of my hair doesn't suit me. i am planning on transitioning to silver when i reach my mid/late 40's (i will probably be 50 per cent silver by then) so i thought going deeper red/burgundy or even brown would look more natural as as well as suiting me best.