Thread: How to get the most out of deep conditioning?

Length
    2"/44"/46"
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Default How to get the most out of deep conditioning?

Yesterday, I thought my hair need a clarifying treatment so I used one of those little packets I had from Sally's. Then I used some conditioner and a protein based leave in (haven't had protein in a while) It feels really smooth and I really don't see split ends. But my hair seems to have no bounce or spring back. And the ends tangle a lot. Today I am getting a deep conditioner in the mail. It is Nexxus humectress. I have heard this is a really good one. I don't plan on shampooing, just the deep conditioner. What can I do to get the most moisture out of this? Do I try to find a shower cap? How long should I leave it in? Is there anything I can put on afterwards as well? I have some leave ins and some coconut oil. I know everything is trial and error but what should I do??

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Default Re: How to get the most out of deep conditioning?

Well, for me, what has made the biggest difference is not how long I leave it on, but instead how well I "smooth" the conditioner/deep treatment into my hair. I go over small sections for a couple minutes each, throughly working the treatment in. But I have high porosity hair so that might be why this works so well for me.
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: How to get the most out of deep conditioning?

You might get something more out of it if your hair is dry or just slightly damp, so the treatment isn't diluted. On the other hand, you'll go through a ton of it if you use it on dry hair, so it's worth finding a balance.

In general, you get diminishing returns after about 30 minutes or so of treatment, but you get better results if you keep it a bit warm. (Page with journal links that pretty much says this. Also happens to be a pretty fantastic blog.) So wrap it up in a warm towel or stick a hat on, let it soak for a half hour, then rinse it out and call it good.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!