Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with layers?

Length
    20"/28.5"/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default What's wrong with layers?

I have noticed that a lot of people seem to be proud of the fact that they have a even hemline. I was just wondering what's wrong with layers, or why people strive to have all layers of hair the same length?

Is there anyone on here that last classic length hair or beyond with layers?
    Lady Nisaba, Scribe of the Celestial Scrolls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    23.5/25/28
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: What's wrong with layers?

I can't speak for everyone and I certainly don't have classic length hair or beyond, but I don't mind layers at all! I think they can look quite lovely with long hair (As can an even hemline with all one length!) and it's just a different look!

Maybe some people don't like them because they do tend to make certain braids and updos a pain? Like you get little layers sticking out of your braids which definitely doesn't look as nice!

Length
    Pixie/Class/Class
    Type
    1b/F/i

I have BSL hair that is straight, thin and fine. Layers make my hair look like it got caught in the weed whacker or chewed on. It makes my hair look thinner and stragglier. I have tried them repeatedly and they just don't work with my hair. However, I think they look incredible on people with more body, wave or curl. I'm jealous....

Also, for me it is much easier to braid or bun my hair without layers, but I struggle on a good day anyway.

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

There is nothing wrong with layers at all, and quite a few members like them, but you are right, the majority seem to prefer an even hemline, myself included. One reason is because many wear their hair up or in a braid most of the time, and layers poke out of braids and updos. Another reason is it is easier to trim one length hair, especially if you are doing it at home yourself. Another reason is because many like to do their own cuts/trims instead of going to a salon and it can be difficult to cut layers yourself. Ive noticed that those who enjoy wearing their hair down often have layers, which can add some interest and movement to the hair. Really its whatever you like and what works best for you personally.

Length
    1.5/1.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I think it mostly has to do with the sticking out of the layers when doing certain styles. I am not sure if i am going to try for a blunt hemline or a layered hemline when i get longer. My hair is so think i think it might be crazy with it all one length.

Length
    Short/WL/TBL
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

There is no demonization of layers here. Just personal preferences. Many ladies have braided styles, and braid shred (where you have bits and pieces sticking out of your braid as you go down the taper) is not to many members' likings, as a clean braid all the way down is generally preferred. There's no braid police, either--it's just what tends to be the preference here.

Layers are great when you wear your hair down a lot. The movement is lovely! And if you have thick hair like mine, layers take a lot of weight off. I'm growing out to an even hemline now, though, because I want to do different braided styles and more buns. And I want to see how thick I can get my ends.
    Photos from "Wear All Your Hairtoys Once" challenge
    Shoulder--APL--BSL--WL--HL--TBL
    Maintaining now with a mohawk cut on the sides!

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

They stick out of updos and braids, that's what's wrong with them. My braids look like caterpillars after a few hours. I think the taper also makes braids look thinner; at least I always think my braids are thinner than they are, because the part I can pull over my shoulder is pretty thin.

That said, I do have classic-length hair with layers, and I'm keeping them. I like wearing my hair down and I don't want triangle head. I trim them using the ponytail on top of my head method.

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I love long layered hair and I wish I had the thickness to wear it. My hair is far to fine with only a 2.5" circumference at it's widest, so I've learned from experience that my hair just looks thin and straggly with layers. I need all the thickness I can get on my ends.

Length
    buzz/buzz/26"
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

There's absolutely nothing wrong with layers. I love them.

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I think that there is also the idea that hair all one length is less prone to damage on the ends, safety in number!

I enjoy my layers, my hair is so much better with them although I'm trying to shorten the distance between the shortest layer and the ends so my hemline will look fuller.