Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to oil my hair?

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Do I need to oil my hair?

Hi everyone

i have a dilemma. I have a sensitive scalp and I recently bought some natural shampoo and conditioner from oakwood aromatics. This is the only stuff I have used in years that doesn't irritate my head. However it feels heavy and greasy after a week (wash twice weekly) and if I oil my hair it turns into a gunky mess and my comb was full of hair (eek) and I have to use sulphate shampoo to get rid of it. I don't know what to do. I've been oiling my hair for so long I think by not doing it I am doing something bad to my hair. I also need to be careful with oils as they increase shedding at the root

does anyone have any suggestions? My hair feels a bit dry/brittle so went for poo/con for dry scalp and hair, I'm seriously wondering whether to put up with the itchies and use sulphates so I can use oil?? What is annoying is that I used to use any shampoo years ago and had no problems, I don't know why it's changed? I'm really worried that my hair will not be in good enough condition to grow nice and long (it's just at apl now). Help!

The shampoo ingredients:
    sodium olivate (olive oil), sodium castorate (castor oil), sodium cocoate (coconut oil), jojoba seed oil, avocado oil, shea butter, lavender oil, tea tree oil, patchouli oil, linalool, limonene.

Conditioner ingredients:
    aqua, cetearyl alcohol betaine, coco-glucoside, Shea butter, olive oil, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, jojoba seed oil, aloe vera leaf juice powder, xantham gum, phenoxyethanol, lactic acid, citric acid, benzoic acid, dehydroacetic acid, tocopherol, lavender oil, tea tree oil, patchouli oil, linalool, limonene.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Do I need to oil my hair?

If the shampoo is great for your scalp, keep using it. I would slather my length in conditioner to protect it before shampooing just my scalp. As long as you're cone free, the conditioner alone should be enough to clean your length.

ETA: Now that I look more closely at the ingredients list, your conditioner seems to be quite heavy. I would look for a lighter one.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm thinking that your conditioner looks weird in terms of ingredients, honestly -- very heavy, with a non-ionic surfactant in it that in my opinion belongs in a shampoo. I don't think you necessarily have to oil in addition to it; oiling isn't something that everyone finds critical and your conditioner already has a lot of oil in it.

Honestly, I'd be trying different conditioners, see if something else works better for you. You shouldn't have hair that feels heavy and greasy after washing. Experiment a bit, try different things, and consider keeping both oils and conditioners off your scalp. Many people have trouble with them on their scalps, so you wouldn't be unusual at all in that regard.

ETA: Have you ever tried diluting a sulfate shampoo? Some people find that helps substantially with the harshness, while still giving them the cleaning power they need.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Thanks, I will have a look around.

Sorry forgot to add quote Melusine963.
    Last edited by Flossiebell; October 15th, 2014 at 12:36 PM.

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I'm thinking that your conditioner looks weird in terms of ingredients, honestly -- very heavy, with a non-ionic surfactant in it that in my opinion belongs in a shampoo. I don't think you necessarily have to oil in addition to it; oiling isn't something that everyone finds critical and your conditioner already has a lot of oil in it.

Honestly, I'd be trying different conditioners, see if something else works better for you. You shouldn't have hair that feels heavy and greasy after washing. Experiment a bit, try different things, and consider keeping both oils and conditioners off your scalp. Many people have trouble with them on their scalps, so you wouldn't be unusual at all in that regard.

ETA: Have you ever tried diluting a sulfate shampoo? Some people find that helps substantially with the harshness, while still giving them the cleaning power they need.
    I have used lush shampoo bars which I guess will be diluted by the time the foam gets on my head. I still react to those, not as bad as some others I have tried though. I will have a look for a different conditioner. Thanks for the reply :-)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Lush is pretty harsh stuff, from what I've heard. (Can't get it here without ordering online, and I don't like their ingredients lists at all, so I can't speak personally.) Try a more simple shampoo using sodium laureth sulfate some time, see what you think. It might not be for you, but I would not judge SLS shampoos based on Lush.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Lush is pretty harsh stuff, from what I've heard. (Can't get it here without ordering online, and I don't like their ingredients lists at all, so I can't speak personally.) Try a more simple shampoo using sodium laureth sulfate some time, see what you think. It might not be for you, but I would not judge SLS shampoos based on Lush.
    I will bear that in mind, thanks for your help :-)

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I completely agree. There are far too many oils in there' and you are using conditioner on top of that and now want to oil z9over that? That just far too much oil. You might want to clarify your hair using these members suggestions. Strip your hair clean without drying it out and start all over

Type
    2b/M/iii

I'd definitely keep all oil away from your scalp. Just oil the length..or ends, and use the oil very sparingly. You do not want to put anything on your scalp that would upset its delicate balance. Have you see Heidi W's oiling tutorial on You
    Tube?

link to Heidi W's tut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk
    Last edited by Madora; October 15th, 2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: link info

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    I'd definitely keep all oil away from your scalp. Just oil the length..or ends, and use the oil very sparingly. You do not want to put anything on your scalp that would upset its delicate balance. Have you see Heidi W's oiling tutorial on You
    Tube?

link to Heidi W's tut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk
    Thank you so much for that link Madora, I have been using way too much oil. I will have to take care to use less in future :-)