Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I have a really BAD hair cut.

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Unhappy So I have a really BAD hair cut.

And it's my fault!

I trimmed it a couple times lately and oh my god. Thanks to my layers, it looks even more unhealthy and greasy! It's a disaster.

When I say bad cut, I mean BADDD. The bangs I used to have just hang there, can't tuck them behind my ears now. :'( And to top it all off, my hair isn't straight, wavy or curly, it's just...well, me. The ends don't curl, they bend like fish hooks. So of course I didn't know how to cut that sh*t. Some pieces of hair are longer than others, I didn't even notice it till I took a picture..

Right now my hair is between shoulder length and short length. I can't tell because the front is shorter than the back, ugh!!

What do you guys think I should do? Let it grow out or have a salon "trim" the rest off?

Help is very much appreciated!
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: So I have a really BAD hair cut.

Some times you just have to grow it out. Like people with a mullet or pixie or bangs, it's really hard to fix it and still grow, so there's this "hideous" stage where nothing seems to be right and it's so discouraging. But if you can push through that, it will be long enough to do something with.

Many of us have been there, the path is well traveled.

Length
    23/31/40
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Is it long enough to put up into any kind of updo so that you could just wear it up for a while until it grows a bit more? I've got unwanted bangs and layers too and I'm just growing all that out. I still have to pin my bangs back because they are too long to be bangs (tip of my nose length) but too short to go into my bun.
    I know its tempting to go and have it trimmed to one length but maybe think about it for a while first. ((hug))

Length
    MBL/waist/clas
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Might be worth getting it tidied up professionally now, so you can grow it from a better startpoint.
    I would say though before you do anything ask someone you trust if it truly is as bad as you think! Sometimes what we think is mad bag lady hair actually isnt that bad after all!

Length
    SL/30"/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

That really sucks. I think I kind of know how you feel; my hair (especially the ends) does weird things at that length too. Parting your hair differently or sweeping your bangs to the side if possible might help with that problem. Pulling your hair back if might make it look less awkward. Even pinning the sides back if possible might help a little. Just remember, this state is only temporary. If you can stand it, try waiting a little longer before cutting it. It will grow past this awkward stage.
    <3 APL —- BSL —- MBL —- WL —- HL —- TBL <3

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    Is it long enough to put up into any kind of updo so that you could just wear it up for a while until it grows a bit more? I've got unwanted bangs and layers too and I'm just growing all that out. I still have to pin my bangs back because they are too long to be bangs (tip of my nose length) but too short to go into my bun.
    I know its tempting to go and have it trimmed to one length but maybe think about it for a while first. ((hug))
    You see though, I can't do any updos besides a pony tail, because my hair sticks out all over the place. And ponytails cause damage (that's what I heard at least, correct me if I'm wrong..)
    My hair is in pretty good condition in my opinion. It feels very soft to the touch but looks like a greasy mop in person, ew!
    But anyway! Sure, I'll just let it grow a bit more and see how it goes heh.. I am going to start the inversion method this coming week, so maybe that will add a little bit of growth!

Length
    short/hip/???

Oh, I've been there. It was a pretty long time ago, but I HAVE BEEN THERE. Don't panic. What I did was I went to the hairdresser, and they evened out the hemline and cut my hair into a sort of bob hairstyle that was just a tiny bit shorter than my hair was after that disastrous self-cut. They were very nice about it and I ended up liking that haircut a lot, and it made me feel a lot better about my hair as it grew out than I thought I would. Of course, if you want to leave it as is, it will probably look a lot better in just a few months time, so if you think you can deal with that then that's absolutely an option as well.

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tokugawa.miyako View Post
    That really sucks. I think I kind of know how you feel; my hair (especially the ends) does weird things at that length too. Parting your hair differently or sweeping your bangs to the side if possible might help with that problem. Pulling your hair back if might make it look less awkward. Even pinning the sides back if possible might help a little. Just remember, this state is only temporary. If you can stand it, try waiting a little longer before cutting it. It will grow past this awkward stage.
    Alright, I didn't want it to be cut anyway. The only reason I would cut it is to get rid of the layers. (I cannot stand these cursed horrible layers, ahhhhh!)
    I just wonder how long this will take :/ I'll wear it in a loose ponytail more often and maybe wear a headband to pull back the bangs. thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by kittenface View Post
    Oh, I've been there. It was a pretty long time ago, but I HAVE BEEN THERE. Don't panic. What I did was I went to the hairdresser, and they evened out the hemline and cut my hair into a sort of bob hairstyle that was just a tiny bit shorter than my hair was after that disastrous self-cut. They were very nice about it and I ended up liking that haircut a lot, and it made me feel a lot better about my hair as it grew out than I thought I would. Of course, if you want to leave it as is, it will probably look a lot better in just a few months time, so if you think you can deal with that then that's absolutely an option as well.
    Well I still want to keep the length I worked for, so I will wait to get it cut. NO MORE SELF TRIMS! Maybe an occasional s&d but that's it. I'm also going to try the inversion method, so let's see how that will go!
    Last edited by Gumball; October 12th, 2014 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Combined posts into multi-quote. See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43281 for details.

Wittingly Unpronounceable fišrildi's Avatar
    Length
    26"/40"/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

You could do this kind of bun, until your hair has grown a couple inches, and you can fix the cut: http://youtu.be/2rK7xYvxW74
    The girl in the video has shoulder length hair. If you skip the part where she backcombs her hair (why on earth is she doing that??), I think the result looks quite good.

It would be more helpful if you uploaded a picture, so that we could see and give you more accurate suggestions. Sometimes, we tend to think of a bad haircut as something much worse than it really is
    Patience, hair will grow back, and layers will grow back too

Lady Anairė of the Bow and Arrow, Wizardess of the Tundra Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Classic

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I would bend forward, brush my hair to hang toward my feet, put a ponytail at the very top-center of my head, then trim off any twigs of hair that don't flow with the rest. If you're going to have layers, better they flow evenly rather than looking all jagged and weird. You don't have to lose any length this way; you'll just neaten up the flow.

Again - only trim off any odd twigs of hair that are longer than the rest.